Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i was removed the rear plastics ( just lifting them out of the way ) to install the givi topcase rack. i ended up not putting on the new racks because of another issue... (missing a needed tool where i was), so i put the rear plastics back on, put everything back together, and went home.

when i tried to unlock the rear seat to get something out, the key is not unlocking the seat, it seems to be doing nothing. ahhh! i'm locked out.

couple questions:
1. is the mechanism that controls the lock from the key to the seat just a cable, or something else?

2. when i put the plastics back on, could i have pulled the cable out, or pinched it?

3. is there a way to override the key-lock to open the rear seat (so that i can take the plastics off and further diagnose the problem?)

thanks in advance for any help, i'm a bit confused on what to do next.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If the lock is turning - The cable or housing is unhooked, probably at the latch. The housing snaps in place and can pop out easily when lifted up. You may be able to get to the cable at the lock with needle nose pliers to pull on it to release the latch. I do not have mine together at the moment to get another idea.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I did this once and was able to pull the plastics away far enough to grab the cable with a needle nose pliers. If the cable is unhooked it shouldn't be all that hard with a decent amount of patience. If it is fastened in the "slot" but incorrectly, it will be more difficult to get to it. Should be doable with some patience and pinched fingers. :)

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
I did that when I installed my FE. I took off the front seat, and unbolted as much of the rear fairing as I could and was able to grab it with a pliers and yank it to open up the rear seat.

I can't quite picture it right, but another option may include loosening the front connections for the battery tray/mud guard.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I locked my rear seat also hehe. Did not install the cable back on the lock properly. This was the easiest way for me to do it.

1. Remove seat and move the fuse tray to the side. Look and locate the back of the lock from the opposite side.

2. With a screw diver push up the plate that is holding the lock cylinder in place.

3. It will just fall out under neath. Then you can pull out the lock cylinder and pull on the cable to release the seat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.