Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so yea, i still cant believe that the entire throttle tube assembly is held in place by a 3mm plastic bit. anyway, it broke off. super glue to the rescue..... anyone have any ideas for a more permanent fix?

i dont even want to know how much my dealer is gonna try to charge me for this stupid 2 inch piece of plastic, even if they did have one in stock, which i am sure they wont.

wow, potentially, an entire week of riding ruined by a 3x6mm plastic protrusion... :mad:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Double-sided tape under the clamp? Mine doesn't have the tab (most likely ground off by PO), but I've never had it move on me. In fact, none of my controls have the tabs, and it's never been a problem.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Just put some electrical tape on the bar where the hole is and tighten the switch housing around it. It worked for me when it happened to my 500. You don't push the starter button THAT hard, do you?

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
A tiny sheet metal screw worked for me.

By the way, it's not the housing rotating when you hit the starter that's the concern, it's the whole thing coming off on you while you're riding. That wouldn't be fun. ;D

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I don't have the plastic tab on that side either. First I tried it without any tape. I took it for a spin, and when I got to WOT, the assembly slipped and rotated backwards.

Electrical tape FTW.

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you change bars allot trying different set-ups you soon find that the holes and nubs just are a pain in the..... as said use friction or electrical tape under the plastics, I have even had good luck with the little rolls of sand paper that plumbers use to clean copper pipe, just use slightly less than one wrap with the cloth towards the bars, and don't strip the screws trying to over tighten it! Mine never ever move.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
By the way, it's not the housing rotating when you hit the starter that's the concern, it's the whole thing coming off on you while you're riding. That wouldn't be fun. ;D
when I got to WOT, the assembly slipped and rotated backwards.
Haha, ok so I'm a little shortsighted...I didn't think about hitting the throttle stop. Good call on pulling it off Rich, but if you're doing anything that would pull the throttle tube off the bars then you have other problems to worry about! Unless I'm missing something else :p I've never been able to pull the throttle tube off when I wanted to without removing the cables. I still won't say it can't happen though...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts