Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
via aluminum ramps. any tips or pointers i should look out for? things such as securely attaching the ramps to the tailgate.

anyone who has done this and learned something the hard way please pass on the know how

·
Registered
854 Posts
Get a second person to help out. Made it much easier for me to get it in/out of my rental truck with a second set of hands. Basically told them to stand there and do what I said (ie, hold the front brake) or to help balance the bike. It just reduces the risk to you and your bike.

Can't help with ramps on the truck, but I'm sure somebody will chime in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
When I had to put mine in the truck once there was one person in the bed and one person on either side of the bike on the ground. Just laid the ramps on the gate and did everything with care in one smooth forward push.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you're by yourself and plan on riding it up the ramp, make sure you ride all the way up into the truck bed. You do not want to stop half way up the ramp because you will have no where for your feet to go.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I know a little 5'3" chick who takes her bike into the bed of her dodge ram all by herself...

She has an atv ramp and rides it in lol and sometimes walks it up.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Being a single lass, almost any time a bike needs to go into the truck (Tacoma), I'm doing it by myself. My ramp is skinny (wide enough for the wheels, naturally, but not for me to walk up next to the bike - have to step into the bed) and about 6 feet long.

I just put a bungee from the hinge of my ramp to the truck's hitch to hold it in place. I've never had a problem with it slipping.

Biggest tip would be to minimize the incline on the ramp, if at all possible. Since there's no way I could physically push the bike into the truck, I end up putting the bike into gear and getting the bike into the truck under its own power. (I walk alongside it; too much of a sissy to try riding it in.) But, the greater the incline to get into the truck, the greater your speed needs to be to get up it... which means a greater chance of mishap.

2nd tip - if the bike stops or stalls on the ramp, don't try to power it up. Just roll it back and start over again.

Not sure what else to share. It's definitely a harrowing experience the first few times, but once you get the hang of it, it isn't too bad.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
riding up a ram is not wise

I recommend 2 ramps, one for the bike, one for you

walk beside bike in 1st get slipping clutch and manipulating throttle and front brake as you walk the bike up the ramp

easy peasy

park downhill from ramps to reduce the incline of the ramps when loading on a hill

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have two ramps which I tie strap to the bumper to keep them from slipping off the tailgate of my dodge ram 2500 4x4. I warm up the bike and after aligning it with the right ramp I place it in first gear and with the front brake covered I just ease out the clutch and walk it up.

At times I will drive the front of the truck up onto an incline or curb to reduce the ramp angle.

This is very scary if you have never done it and is highly recommended to have someone there incase you stall it on the ramp “ Which I have done”. This is also a great opportunity for a youtube video. I think Ill start filming my loading because someday I’m going to jack it up .. LOL.

No seriously that is how I do it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i have 2 ramps that im putting next to each other, so m working with about 2 feet total ramp width, just enough to put my feet down if absolutely necessary. thinking about just riding it on up. it seems like unloading it will be a hellova lot easier.

edit: sounds like walking it up on the second ramp is the preferred method. my dad will be around so hopefully i can get him to film it. or help out haha

·
Registered
334 Posts
my older brother purchased a bike and neither parties had a ramp so we drove it into the back via loading dock behind a shopping center.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have put my bike in and out of my truck bed (f150 Fx4) 4 times over the past week. Best advice...Find a hill and back up to it to decrease the angle which you have to go up. I usually use a plywood ramp but that is because I am to cheap to buy aluminum. I usually just stand next to it...feather the clutch...and drive it up.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
lol i forgot about the backing up to a hill/curb

Now I gotta find the pic of my friend loading his stunt bike in his Toyota...he trove into the ditch and rode the bike straight in...straight.. lol poor truck haha

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
I have put my bike in and out of my truck bed (f150 Fx4) 4 times over the past week. Best advice...Find a hill and back up to it to decrease the angle which you have to go up. I usually use a plywood ramp but that is because I am to cheap to buy aluminum. I usually just stand next to it...feather the clutch...and drive it up.
This is very important. Try to get the lower end of the ramp as high as you can by using a driveway to gain elevation or even a sidewalk higher than the street. This will reduce the steepness of the ramp and make loading and unloading much easier.

I recommend bottoming the suspension with your tie downs so that the bike can't bounce and loosen them up. If you use the type of tie down that has a spring loaded clamp, tie the strap in a single knot under the clamp so it won't loosen up.

Like others have said, get a helper. My 6'4" 340 lb. neighbor helped me out and it went very easily.

I hope you do well in this exercise!

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
make sure the ramps are attached to the tailgate cables/hinge, or to the hitch. i'd also try and put something under the center of the ramp in case it folds or collapses. it's easier to have 3 people or more. 2 to push. one to catch. couple on each side to get straps while one holds it there.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I load my bike with a scrap of plywood about 2' x 3' :)

If you back up to a small hill, it's very easy and a level ride or push in or out. An inclined ramp is just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
loaded mine into my dad's pick up with a 2x4 that is atleast 20 years old. he first made it when he got his yamaha 250 enduro in the early 80s. still holding up!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts