Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the load limit on th SV is 485 but I rode the wife two up yesterday for an approximate 60 mile round trip in the city and the bike handled like a sick brick. Together we put approximately another 380 on the bike and the handling was so bad that I cut the trip short cause I felt it was dangerous. Wondering if this was rider skill based or this is just how it is? (would have posted this in the FAQ Suspension section but it won't let me post there).

·
Safety Adviser
879 Posts
While the bikes load limit might be hig enough, the stock suspension is not set for that kind of weight. Most bike suspensions are set for "Average Rider" and that is it. For those not falling into that catagory you will require differnt psrings to make the bike handle as it should under those kinds of loads.

Now don;t get me wrong, there is more to it than just bike set-up as it is a completly different set of skills to operate with a passenger and having a passenger who is not skilled is having no differance that having an unskilled operator. I have helped some passengers learn the finer points of riding as a passenger before they have ridden with spouses etc.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I run 2-up with 60+ lbs of luggage a lot when touring and probably edging up around 500lbs total. Did it on the stock shock for a while. Very much better with the ZX14 shock swap.

Not sure what rear shock works on a '06 but on my 08 here is a link to the hows and wheres for the swap on mine http://sv650.metromain.net/index.php?x=zx14_shock

Never had a problem with handling really and it helps that the missus is the perfect passenger.

My favorite pic on The Dragon, 2-up and fully loaded.

And from the rear, again 2-up and fully loaded

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Beautiful pics! I would have never thought you could load an SV like that. Looks like your wife was having fun. Mine rode ok after I rear head butted her for squirming around while we were moving. I just didn't like how the bike felt dead while turning. I'm going to look into that suspension upgrade with the forks and shocks. I wish there was someone that I could just pay to do the upgrade for me. I am not the grease monkey type. Kinda like Cole Trickle in Days of Thunder - I don't care whats going on under the hood, I just drive the bike.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
A rear shock swap is as easy as sh!ttin' in bed and kickin' it out with ya foot ;D

EDIT : And yeah, yeah I sorta straddled the doubles a tad in that second photo .... so sue me :sarcasm:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I greatly appreciate the offer but sending my bike to MN at the start of the season is a good way for me to get a domestic violence charge dropped on me. You come here and I'll throw in a six pack. :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I greatly appreciate the offer but sending my bike to MN at the start of the season is a good way for me to get a domestic violence charge dropped on me. You come here and I'll throw in a six pack. :eek:ccasion14:
Where's here? If it's out of state, I'd be likely to get that domestic violence charge dropped on me as well. We could always wait to send the bike until November :thumbsup: That would give us time to get the parts together :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Have you tried adjusting your stock suspension? It is very easy to adjust your stock suspension and get way better handling. I had to adjust mine and only then I got relatively good performance. I ride 2-up with 55L top case and the handling is fine. Also, don't test anything out while you have your passenger on, use bags or something to add more weight but don't test ride with passenger on board until you are sure everything else is working good for you.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Lean as you lean and be aware of what is coming up. All the photos you see of me and the wife she is also looking through the corners. She rides her own bike too so it could be for that reason.

And enjoy :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you tried adjusting your stock suspension? It is very easy to adjust your stock suspension and get way better handling. I had to adjust mine and only then I got relatively good performance. I ride 2-up with 55L top case and the handling is fine. Also, don't test anything out while you have your passenger on, use bags or something to add more weight but don't test ride with passenger on board until you are sure everything else is working good for you.
I'll second that, crank your preload on the stock pogo unit and you'll be decent two up, but don't expect it to ride like solo... I don't know any suspension setup that'll get you there. Unless you're on a goldwing ;-p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts