Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I spent some more time on a KTM 525SMR. Pound for pound, I suspect that it is as easy to get bit by that bike as it would be on a 1000CC SS. I'm guessing that most people look at the supermoto and think that it looks like a lot of fun but that it is comparatively weak. In reality, it demands a buttload of respect. It may not have the nads of a SS on the top end, but it is a major handful at "daily driving" speeds. The bike will easily loft the front wheel in 3rd gear on the throttle without any pull on the bars. The brakes are stupid strong and make the brakes on the SV (mine are EBC HH's with stainless lines) feel barely adequate. The strangest thing is that if you get a hard drive on the SV out of a corner it just goes without drama. A similar level of acceleration coming out of a turn on the KTM will have you leaned over with the front wheel off the ground. On a 500cc thumper? Yup, but 99% of riders would look at it an think that it is a beginner bike and question why you are too scared to ride a literbike. Sounds a lot like the SV. Either way, my .02. I'd be interested in hearing what others think.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Why?? Why did you have to post that?? :lol:

Arrrrgh. I already have a long list of bikes I want to get my mitts on. Add another one...

Any sugar mamas need a cabana boy?

Y

·
0 Posts
Nimbus said:
Yup, but 99% of riders would look at it an think that it is a beginner bike and question why you are too scared to ride a literbike. Sounds a lot like the SV.
Who cares what other people think!!!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AvidSV650Rider said:
Sounds like the perfect bike for a stunna.
Nope, no self respecting stunna would ride a bike without full fairings (though the black rims with chrome wires are pretty slick). Plus it is about 1/2 of the required displacement required for a stunna to get street cred.

Y

·
0 Posts
I'm a newbie here, but not to bikes. Here are my three current bikes I'm playing with. 2004 Yamaha R1, 2003 Cannondale s440 SuperMoto, and just picked up today an 2004 SV650. I have the best of all the worlds. The CDale is great for being a total hooligan, The R1 for going and being stupid at track days, and I'll have to find out about the SV. Bought it for the GF and track days for me too.

As for stunters on SM's here is a pretty good vid, they get a little nutty too! If these guys were on the street, I'd give them some cred.

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=A2EE19EE-47F4-485E-BECB-D2A87D6B0048&kw=25&p=0

Here's another good SM vid, in French though. S. Chambon's the man!

http://www.jersey-riders.com/video/drz400smfilm_suzuki.wmv

·
Registered
100 Posts
After seeing this thread and spending some time on my 90 DR350 in the woods this weekend. I think I would have a ton of fun on a supermoto. I'de realy like to try one I think it would be a blast I have a 1000cc streetbike but its not a ss but there is something fun about a torquey lightweight single that can be alot of fun or a handfull if your not carefull.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Nimbus said:
Nope, no self respecting stunna would ride a bike without full fairings (though the black rims with chrome wires are pretty slick). Plus it is about 1/2 of the required displacement required for a stunna to get street cred.
But just think how cool it would be with black and orange tiger striped fur :shock:

·
Registered
109 Posts
They are certainly fun if used in the correct environment.

I've played with the idea of picking up a DRZ400SM to replace my old KTM Duke II.
Not nearly as extreme as the 525smr you rode, but it would be a good bike to pull along behind the car on longer road trips with the family.
Then I'll have something to escape on that can run all the roads I'd come across.
I've ridden a friends KTM 620sm a few times. Pretty scary when it had stock gearing.
It would lift the front in most of the gears without much warning.
Another friend has a Honda XR650R with power up kit and 17" lace-ups and big brakes, ect.... Heavy, but faster then the Duke.

There all good if ya keep em rubber side down.

PS keep in mind the maintenance requirements of each bike you consider.
I had thought of converting a 525 to SM a few years back, that was untill the KTM mechanic told me that the engine calls for complete teardown at, or around the 40 hour mark.
Thats not a lot of riding on the street.

Y

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the welcome Jared. On sunday mornings we usually meet at the shell station on beeline by Moroso.

Supermoto's are just too much fun. If I lived where there were some really good roads, It would probably be my only bike! In Florida, it's for around town mainly.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I rode side by side with a 525 smr...the rider happened to be crazy, mix that with that crazy bike and things get cuuurazy. I couldnt justify having one for the street due to maintenence requirements. Racing, sure. The guy claimed it topped out at 130 on the highway. Not bad for a "dirtbike".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice to see my latest project getting some attention. Picked up a 94 DR 350 with clean title and 611 mi. on it. Whopping $300. Thing looks mint, except fot the mold growing on the fork guards :twisted:

435 Thumper kit and 17" ers are the plan. Slam the tag on it and I'll be backing it in at the shop parking lot everyday.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think the stunnas will realize the greatness of the supermotos eventually. For now I like that they haven't caught on too much yet.

Sure they can get you into trouble, but at more sane speeds than an SS. I've ridden a Gixxr1k a few times recently and it's insane, whereas my semi-SM is just a little nutty. I've crashed it on the street at about 30 mph, and the only damage was a bent brake lever and some scatches on the pipe and plastic. If I'd been on my SV or any other faired bike there would have been a lot more damage.

It's a DRZ400 K dirtbike that I made street legal. Its got off road gearing and wheels, so it doesn't do well past 70 or so, but from zero to 55 it's bad ass :D The K model comes stock with the carb that the S and SM models will swap theirs out for a big power gain. I think the SM/S come at about 33-34hp stock, but the K claims 40-41.

You're gonna have a blast with that DR 350.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I've ridden a 525SMR on a small racetrack.

Anyone not giving that bike a wide berth at less than 70mph is insane, as that bike and bikes like it will chew SS riders up. Especially in traffic.

SILLY amounts of fun. It's impossible to describe how much shit-eating-ear-to-ear-grin fun those things are.

Killer brakes, stonking grunt, comfy riding position, narrower than can be believed with a handlebar that gives enough leverage to wrestle King Kong to the ground.

.....*Ruefus rummages around house* "Now, where did Vicki hide the checkbook..... :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
FirstSymptom said:
I think the stunnas will realize the greatness of the supermotos eventually. For now I like that they haven't caught on too much yet.
Some already are. A guy I work with has finally decided to put MX bars on his 929. This after riding a DRZ-400SM.

There's no denying the control and confidence an MX riding position affords.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah the DR's are fun bikes. I had a 2001 S model and it was a blast on the street. I just found out today that mine is actually a 96 model. Just keeps getting better.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a dirt only 90 dr350 with a pipe and jet kit and the thing is pretty fast and realy snappy I've had it 5 years it been a great bike 3rd gear wheelies and torque fron idle to redline. I would love to have a supermoto version but I think I would proubly go KTMthe new DRZ400 SM sounds like its a little down on power. I think my dr350 puts out 35 hp stock the drz sm has 33-34hp I'de like a little more for the street.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The KTM is what I wanted when I got the SV. It lost out because of practicality reasons. The 625 SMC looks real fun and good on power. But for the 300 in the dr plus say 5 bills for the thumper kit to make it 435 I am in the game. Just gotta explor the 17" route more. That could be costly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts