Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
. Does anybody have any opinions on the helmet and gloves.

Most important thing is the fit. You really need to go to a store with a good selection and try stuff on.

I will only wear a full-face helmet with DOT and Snell approval (that means not a modular helmet), and only a glove with a full gauntlet. Why? As for the helmet, if you take a blow to the head, you are most likely to get hit in the jaw area. As for the gloves, a full gauntlet will cinch down your jacket sleeve to keep it from riding up and exposing your skin in a slide. (I learned about this one the hard way.)

For helmets, I prefer SHOEI and Arai, but there are less expensive choices offering similar protection. I happen to like the features of these helmets, and my Arai fits mt head like it was made for it. Like I said, a proper fit is the most important factor.

For gloves, I have the Cortech Adrenaline gloves. Competition Accessories has them on a special price for forum members now. They offer a lot of protection for the money, and mine have have held up well.

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=146649&highlight=compacc
http://www.compacc.com/Bargains-Specials-Forum-Specials
http://www.compacc.com/p/Cortech-Adrenaline-Gloves-Forum-Special-7-8-11-Closeout

I also have a pair of Vanson gloves that I really like. They are not quite as protective as the Cortech, but they are extremely comfortable and still offer decent protection. Vanson offers several nice gloves at reasonable prices. (I have the Vanson Track Gloves.)

http://www.vansonleathers.com/main_page/chapters/mens/gloves_list.html#import

You should also check out Spartan Leathers, owned by a forum member, DrummerDave. He has some really nice gloves (and some nice leather suits, LOL).

http://spartanleathers.com/
http://www.spartanleathers.com/main/store/gloves?zenid=5qq0l1im3dfnesjid7ua8b7ho2

·
Registered
139 Posts
Definite thumbs up cfreger for moving this thread to be more productive!

Thumbs up for Spartan Leathers here too, as my best friend has a suit they made for him and it withstood a serious crash quite well, protecting him from serious injury.

I don't have any knowledge if there are forum sponsors that should be plugged here and I have no affiliation with any particular online suppliers, but I would add the following as two very commonly useful sources for gear:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/
http://www.ridersdiscount.com/

Outside of that, ebay works as does local riding forums. PNWRiders.com a the local NW forum to me that often has lots of gear. I should also add that the Wera racing forums always have quality used gear and equipment at low prices:

http://weraclassifieds.com/ad-category/race-gear/

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I had the Icon field armor boots as my first boots and 2 of my friends had super duty's. I would would not recommend them, the protection seemed good but they are very bulky and clunky. They were so thick you can't shift easily and really had to move my foot out and around the shifter since they were so thick and the soles stuck out quite a bit on the sides. The Sidi boots I have now are much more comfortable to ride and walk in, not to mention MUCH easier to put on and take off ;).

Look for a boot that has a more streamline toe and NO LACES. The first time the loop in your laces gets caught on a peg when your trying to put your foot down you will be lucky if you and the bike don't hit the ground.
I own Super Duty 2's... They don"t feel chunky to me! I've never had a lace get caught (they have lace keepers) in a peg...

In fact I prefer my Icon's over my A* SMX-5's... I constantly miss 1-2 shifts since the A*'s are so stiff.

Super Duty's are nice boots and are also nice off bike!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I'd rather buy good gear to begin with then have to "modify" marginal gear. I have owned some Icon gear and other then the helmet the rest of it was pretty much junk.

4-5 months of riding with $70 Icon glove and they wore through the palms.

There is no reason to sacrifice quality for price, you can get clearance or slightly used gear for cheep if you look around. I have bought 2 Alpinestars leather jackets in great shape on eBay for under $100 each, the second one was in perfect condition and only worn a couple times.
I'm on my 3rd season with some Icon Short Merc gloves and they look brand new... I also have no doubts they will hold up well in a crash.

Guess you got a bad pair of gloves...

(I know we have gone back and forth on this subject but I feel Icon has low quality gear AND high quality gear just like other manufacturers)

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Jahr,

Datech has probably given you the best advice of anyone. First thing is to go to store that has a good selection, get an idea of what you like and what sizes from different manufacturers fit, then go to webbikeworld and read reviews. Educate yourself and refine your choices, then start searching for closeouts and discounts.

Get yourself the best gear you can at whatever you can afford. Wear it for a season or two to figure out what you like and don't like about it. Then, when you feel you need or would like something new, you have some experience and knowledge on which to draw. Remember, this will be your first set of gear, not your last.

I won't get into the leather v. textile debate, because that would be hypocritical, as I have both.

I have:

Aerostich Roadcrafter 1 piece suit, with upgraded armor, hip pads and back protector (BTW, the 'stich is the only suit I've crashed in - twice in almost 17 years - and it has held up beautifully)
Tourmaster Transitions 2 jacket
Tourmaster Venture Air mesh overpants
AGV Sport leathers
Held Thrux gloves
...and...my most recent addition...dum, dum DAH!
Kobe 2 piece leathers bought at this year's rally. They were brand spanking new for total price of about $380. I also got their back protector, because my 15 year old Dianese vertebra one was showing its age, design-wise.

As far as clothing, any gear is better than no gear. Just make sure there is CE rated armor in the shoulders, elbows and knees. Most will only have pads in the hips and back, but at least the back is easily remedied with the aftermarket.

The GMAX helmet is a good choice. DOT is really all you need, and arguably, the older Snell standards might be more harmful than helpful. Snell 2010 is far better, and more acceptable. However, if you are not aware that different helmets fit different head shapes, go to webbikeworld.com and read up on it.

Full gauntlet gloves are a must, in my opinion. I don't have them, but you might look at Kobe as well as the ones you listed. I had a pair of Cortech Adrenalines, and they didn't hold up very well in the crash I had with them. The palm seam split after being dragged palm down on the pavement for about 20'. It was a strange fall, with strange circumstances, so that sort of damage might have occurred with any glove.

I don't like your choice of Icon boots. The sole is too thick, the tox box, although appearing better than some of their other boots, is still too tall, and they aren't tall enough to provide and torsional support in the event your foot is twisted in a fall. However, I don't solely recommend sport/race style boots for all applications. I have a pair of TCX S-Race boots that I wear when I am going for any kind of "real" ride, but for commuting or errand running, I also have a set of TCX X-Cube boots. The S-Cube boots have a fair degree of malleolus crush protection, as well as torsional protection for twisting forces. They are also waterproof and comfortable enough for all day wear, which I do virtually everyday as I commute on the bike to work. An added benefit is that no one has asked me how long the doctor said I had to wear them (I am not, nor ever will be a fan of the gigantic "Doc Martens Orthopedic Device" look). I have a wider foot, and find TCX fit me the best.

By the way, my TourMaster jacket is hi-viz, but it seems the odd disconnected clown in their car still doesn't see me.

The best gear in the world is the gear you actually wear. Even the best leathers (or textile gear) will do nothing for you if it's hanging in the closet while you are out riding. Oh, and almost forgot about what is probably the most important, and often overlooked gear in the motorcycling world: Earplugs. As a young man (I assume), you need to protect your hearing. There's nothing worse than sitting in your house at almost 50 year old, typing a pedantic post while the loudest sound you hear is the ringing in your ears. Just trust me on this, you don't want that.

If you've made it through this entire post, congratulations. Now, go read and educate yourself, instead of pouring over the ramblings of some internet schmuck.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Oh, and almost forgot about what is probably the most important, and often overlooked gear in the motorcycling world: Earplugs. As a young man (I assume), you need to protect your hearing. There's nothing worse than sitting in your house at almost 50 year old, typing a pedantic post while the loudest sound you hear is the ringing in your ears. Just trust me on this, you don't want that.
Best advice so far.... Tinnitus sux!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thanks for all the new post. I have tried on the Gmax helmet along with many others and it fits very nicely and also receives very good reviews from webbikeworld. For being ont he cheaper side of the helmets I tried the interior materials seem to be high quality and comfortable. I also tried on the Tourmaster Sonora jacket I listed. I like that it has different inserts for various weather types and it fit well. I will make a final decision on that after I have tried the tall. BKK Jack I have already planned on wearing ear plugs, because I do indeed value my earring. Thanks a lot guys for all the input.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
I own Super Duty 2's... They don"t feel chunky to me! I've never had a lace get caught (they have lace keepers) in a peg...

In fact I prefer my Icon's over my A* SMX-5's... I constantly miss 1-2 shifts since the A*'s are so stiff.

Super Duty's are nice boots and are also nice off bike!
If you are happy with them then more power to you, I was just adding my opinion that they were not nearly as comfortable to me a my Sidi vertigo air boots. I tried on some SMX-5's at one of the shops and I liked them too. The Icon boots were just to bulky for me, if you like them that's cool, I personally didn't like how thick they are.

I actually sent my Icon boots to my bro-in-law when he bought his SV and he doesn't wear them because he doesn't like the bulkiness either.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
I'm on my 3rd season with some Icon Short Merc gloves and they look brand new... I also have no doubts they will hold up well in a crash.

Guess you got a bad pair of gloves...

(I know we have gone back and forth on this subject but I feel Icon has low quality gear AND high quality gear just like other manufacturers)
I do agree with you that Icon has some descent gear, my Icon helmet worked fine when I high sided and supermaned into the pavement. But when it comes to anything other then helmets I would trust other brands much more. I'm not just basing this on one pair of gloves, I have had Icon gloves, jeans and had a couple friends with Icon jackets and other gear.

Like I have said before the number of seasons you have on your gloves doesn't mean anything, it's the miles/hours you have using them. I average 1000+ miles per month all year round and my current GP plus gloves have lasted me well over a year. 15000 miles and a crash and are still holding strong ;) and a good part of the year is 100+ degree weather.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts