1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to put a plug in for PHAT CHANCE (Jimmy) over on the WERA board
http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72706&perpage=20&pagenumber=1
costs about $80 or so for the rear and about the same for each front

I know MISKO had his done earlier in the winter.

Just got the lightened rotor back!!
It looks awesome. worth the money for the bling alone.
I sent in a stock '99 SV650 rear rotor.
original weight was 1100g, after lightening it comes out at 584g. I'm just gonna call that a 50% reduction. pretty sweet.

here's a pic:

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PHAT CHANCE claims it's not a big difference at all. I don't use it that much anyway, and i've always found it to be overpowered as it can lock up with very light pressure. not worred at all about that. My overall braking power is already ridiculous. (dual 6pot GSXR calipers with 320mm discs up front and nice new pads all around). I'm more interested in less rotating mass which makes the bike more flickable and faster to accelerate and stop.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The only people who get there fronts lightned by Jimmy are street guys who want cool pattens and such for BLING

but many racers/track junkies get the rears lightened-i know on the SV the rear brake is way to strong and there is no reason you need that big of a rotor

·
Registered
230 Posts
That looks great. I might have to do that when I pull the rear for new rubber. How long did it take them to do it and get it back to you?

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
thejimdaddy said:
is it milled?? lazered?? waterjetted?? only one style??
Taken from Jimmy Chance's post on the WERA board:
We have built fixtures and are now CNC milling the rotors.

I just read the thread and its $75 to lighten the rear rotor, plus $7 shipping.
$82 total- thats a steal!

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
don't mean to shoot his business down but... wow that is expensive for a little drilling that probably takes less than hour to do. I know most race shops charge about same amount but geewhiz

I found a guy on ebay that did same service... did mine for $35 shipped ;)

I mainly wanted the less bite on the rear rotor and less weight was another plus

ok... after looking at one of the pics... I see he takes it further than the guy who did mine so I see why it costs more now ;)

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
syntheticton said:
wow that is expensive for a little drilling that probably takes less than hour to do.
At this point, with jigs, fixtures and programs, it probably takes much less than that. But its on a mill, no drilling...

As for rear wheel horsepower, I dont think your going to notice a difference, other than less "bite" like syntheticton said.
Its a drop in reciprocating mass though, by about 500g per yellow's calculations.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i'm never going to notice the difference.. but every little bit helps. gonig down 500g on the rotor, plus going from a steel sprocket to a aluminium one + going from 525 to 500 chain all adds up. i'm still not good enough to notice, but i like that its there. makes me smile.

·
Registered
149 Posts
yellow650 said:
i'm never going to notice the difference.. but every little bit helps.  gonig down 500g on the rotor, plus going from a steel sprocket to a aluminium one + going from 525 to 500 chain all adds up.  i'm still not good enough to notice, but i like that its there.  makes me smile.
This is true... rotating mass is rotating mass. It will add up for sure.

As for reduced braking... that isnt necessarily true. Why do they make cross drilled, etc rotors? Because each cut adds another biting surface. IT will actually add to the braking power unless you go way overboard. Just like individual brake pads will brake harder then one large individaul pad.

Ken

·
Registered
149 Posts
chuckles said:
i'm a automotive tech and have seen what happens when a rotor gets messed up and how fast brake pads can wear when something goes awry
I agree... but, I didnt know we were talking about rotors going bad. I would assume you would start with a good rotor to begin with.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts