Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Lifting an '04 SV 650 for '03 GSXR 1000 shock install - Photos (really!)

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Tom B 
G
#1 ·
I'm doing the GSXR shock mod on my '04 SV650, read everything I could find here (this forum is great).  I was concerned about holding the bike up while I changed everything around and didn't like the idea of trying to hang my bike from the ceiling (or anything else for that matter).  I use a piece of conduit in the rear axle of my '00 GSXR 600 to lift the rear tire for chain cleaning and thought I could do something similar for this.

Bike ready for work - Red circle is the lift point I used.

This is what it looks like underneath.

Out of some scrap pieces I had I fabricated a bracket that hooks into that hole on the bottom.  Ok, this first try was an experiment, so it doesn?t look very pretty.

In use?It requires very little lift to bring the back tire off the ground and is very stable, perfect for chain cleaning or tire swaps.

The bike is on three points, side stand, front wheel and the jack.  When you do this (or any heavy work on a bike on the side stand) always hog tie the stand?it makes it almost impossible to push over.

When I make a better one it will look like this.

Here are two photos of what I had to cut from the battery box.  This is an ?04 SV650 and an ?03 GSXR 1000 shock.  There may be some difference between mine and yours so your mileage may vary.  I stuffed a paper towel in the battery box to make it easier to see.

Finally a photo of the installed shock.  My battery did not fit at all?I?m looking for a smaller replacement.

(Got this dam photo posting thing licked! ;D )

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: GS GT12B-4 works.

"My battery did not fit at all?I?m looking for a smaller replacement."

try a GS GT12B-4 or equiv.
it got a reputation for leaking a few years back in R-1s and Monsters, but they redesigned the vent holes, and the battery also mounts flat in an R1.
There is a Yuasa YT12B-BS or Koyo KT12B-4. Runs about $70.

Length  6" 
Width  3-7/16" 
Height  5-1/8" 
Depth 2-3/4"

Here is the interesting part, the dealer GS book listed the GT12B-4 at 190 CCA. I've seen other listing from 130 CCA to 180 CCA, so I'm not sure what the deal is. At any rate, it's better than the FZ1 or R6 CCA ratings, while fitting in the battery box with minimal spacing. You can see the spacers I used to drop the undertray below.

Shock is a 636 unit.

G
#3 ·
Re: Lifting an '04 SV 650 for '03 GSXR 1000 shock install - Photos

Ok...this stinks! I tested the photos in the test section and they showed up fine. Must have been cached on my machine or something...will try to correct soon.

Thanks for the battery info...

G
#6 ·
I found the perfect battery and at the right price too.

http://www.motorcyclebatteriesusa.com/battery-details.asp?battery=41

It is about 1.25 inches shorter than stock and according to the specs has more power than the original.

Paid no tax and the shipping was free... $52 bucks to my door, you can't beat that.

First impression with the new rear shock is that I don't get normal bam - bam jolt I would get going over a big bump.  Now just the front end hits hard and the back just rolls over without upsetting the rear end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.