Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't think the travel of my rear end would allow for a bent license plate but after a quick search here I see it's not uncommon. Even with the help of a friend compressing the rear end I couldn't get the plate close to the tire. Fascinating.

Is a bent plate as shown in the photo indicative of any one or combination of the following?

1. a pooched shock needing replacement
  2. a fact of life with stock suspension, not really a problem
  3. improper suspension settings
Considering cost vs. benefit, front and rear suspension swaps are certainly on my 'to do list'... but in the mean time I think I should try adjusting the sag, something I've not done since buying the bike.

ps. quick unrelated question: my riding buddies say the rear tire looks pretty flat... Is that something that can be ridden out or continue to be used without worry, or should I just grab new rubber?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
+1, I did the same thing twice with the stock shock when I first bought the bike. Those speed bumps are the cause.

Bending my plate a bit and a stiffer rear shock fixed the problem.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Another reason I just leave the original plate mount and mud flap alone.

Tire is fine. Just go find some corners to play on for a bit to help "round" it out. But as always, if YOU are uncomfortable with it, replace it.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts

It just gives the plate some character. Mine taco'd with the stock shock until I just started to bend the plate back. Haven't tried to recreate the issue now that I'm on an new shock. Your tire's pretty squared off, but it's nothing extreme considering where we live. Spend some time on the Lawrence / DVP ramps and the profile will get a little better :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
My FE didnt come with a new tag mount so I placed the tag on a hinge that way if/when it does hit the tire it dont bind just swings out of the way my 0.02 cent

1 - 7 of 7 Posts