Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking for a quality pair of motorcycle specific sunglasses for a while. Usually you come up with cheesy Orange County Choppers type crap.

My usual standby is a pair of wrap-around Arnettes that are great, but have no sealing at all.

While at at Walmart (of all places) today I stopped at the vision center. I was actually looking for something else when I came across these.

Please forgive the horrible pics. If anyone wants better ones I'll find better lighting.

The cool part about these is the seal.

It's best to try these on before you buy to make sure the seal fits your face. While these don't fit me perfectly, the included, adjustable strap gently pulls the glasses against your face creating a better seal.

The seals themselves are removable and are held in with strong magnets. They snap on and off, in case you want to just use them as sunglasses.

Included accessories are a soft touch hard case

As well as the usual cleaning cloth, removable strap and booklet. It also comes with a neat little pouch for the seals, that has magnets inside to keep your seals from falling out and getting lost.

I think these are a great deal at $70

You can buy these at various places, but if you go to Walmart remember to skip the store altogether and go to the optometrist.

Oh, they can fit Rx lenses too.

Edit~

I figure I should point out why I need these. I use a ff helmet. I like it but it doesn't seem to flow a lot of air. For that reason (at low speeds) I like to ride with the shield open. After getting an eyelash and plenty of dirt in my eyes I figured there had to be a better way.

·
MOTORADOR
10,953 Posts
I like them, they look really nice.

Alas, I cannot wear anything like that because I have long eyelashes and they would keep hitting the glass.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
I have a small frame face (if it makes any sense) So finding sunglasses that fit me nice is always a challenge, and if I do find them, some events out of my control, always end up damaging them... Either somebody sits on the, scratches them... I remember once my boss picked up my helmet from the table to look at it, and didn't realize my sungl;asses were in there. So they fell on the floor and at the sme time he took a step forward. Well what do you know he ended up STEPPING on my sunglasses all in a matter of 0.5 seconds...

Lol he looked at in horror and said: "those were not expensive right?" Not even a "sorry" -.- I told him nah they're cheapo 10 bucks glasses... Should have said they were Oakleys or something...

Anyway back to the original story, nice find Striga, I'll try to swing by my local walmart and see if they have them there..

·
Premium Member
639 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
please explain how that strap is going to go onto those glasses in your FULL FACE helmet?
Haha excellent point!

They wouldn't be able to be used in that manner with a ff. I just wanted to give a general overview of the product. The glasses are a tad wide for my head but my helmet (and yes I've verified this) presses them together just enough to give me a good fit, if that makes sense.

Also, for anyone going to check these out in the flesh, I highly recommend taking your helmet with you. It ended up working fine for me, but they make several styles of eye cup and frames so finding a pair that fits right should be done with your helmet on.

Thanks for pointing that out man.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a small frame face (if it makes any sense) So finding sunglasses that fit me nice is always a challenge, and if I do find them, some events out of my control, always end up damaging them... Either somebody sits on the, scratches them... I remember once my boss picked up my helmet from the table to look at it, and didn't realize my sungl;asses were in there. So they fell on the floor and at the sme time he took a step forward. Well what do you know he ended up STEPPING on my sunglasses all in a matter of 0.5 seconds...

Lol he looked at in horror and said: "those were not expensive right?" Not even a "sorry" -.- I told him nah they're cheapo 10 bucks glasses... Should have said they were Oakleys or something...

Anyway back to the original story, nice find Striga, I'll try to swing by my local walmart and see if they have them there..
I totally get that man. I still primarily wear a pair of Arnettes (dirty harry's) that went out of production a long time ago. They have a lot of hairline scratches, but I love them dearly.

My wife actually located a pair in TX just yesterday from a guy on Craigslist. He hasn't replied yet, but yeah... I feel your pain.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just took these for a spin. I'll be honest, I'm a bit of a sunglass (and shoe... and coffee...) snob so I didn't buy these for their incredible looks. There aren't any glaring (no pun) problems with the looks, but they aren't exactly hand-crafted in Italy.

Anyway if you have ever worn high quality goggles for swimming, you will feel comfortable with these. Obviously these are designed to flow some air though so that they don't fog.

At around 15mph I double checked to see that I had the shield up. The seal fit all the way around my eyes. Once at speed I determined that this is easily one of my favorite moto related purchases thus far. If you ever ride with your shield open I really wish you could try these! I'm just pre-bummed about the scratches that I will inevitably put on them. For now I'm bothering to use the case...

I can easily see paying more for them. The model I chose is called "rider" and has polycarbonate lenses that have all kinds of numbers and designations that are supposed to mean they are the best. Whatever, they seem to work.

Well that's about it. If you have any questions, as usual, just ask.

·
Registered
250 Posts
You could also search sky-diving goggles and find similar glasses, thats what I wear bicycling in the winter, they work great for the same reasons.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts