Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you like it? what is your favorite? Got a favorite restaurant in mind?

Conch and Uni is my favorite. Tuna, Salmon, Salmon Roe, Eel, Octopus, and Giant Clam are also among my favorites. Heck, I love it all.

One great restaurant in Orlando on I-Drive is called Rengetsu. A little pricey, but always fresh and well prepared.

peace..murfy

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I like the roll stuff. Dragon mainly, but anything with shrimp, avocado, cucumber, rice and eel. The names around here are probably different. I don't think anyone outside of Oklahoma is going to be able to order an Oklahoma Dynamite.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
I lived in New York all my life. We used to have Chinese restaurants, ltalian restaurants. Now you have these sushi restaurants. Everyone goes for sushi. Sushi... I hate the stuff. Although, I tell you, I had some the other day. I took it home, I cooked it, it wasn't bad. It tasted like fish.

:)

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Yum, sushi.

Nearly every sushi roll is American, not Japanese. They can be tasty, though.

Spicy tuna rolls aren't necessarily tuna. The older (but still good--sometimes) fish goes into spicy tuna rolls, but it also may be left overs from yellowtail, etc. Since Americans typically screw up sushi and often make mud with their soy sauce and wasabi, they wouldn't even know.

Most cheap sushi places are run by Koreans and Chinese. As I've been at the fish market here in LA and see what they buy, I try to avoid those restaurants.

BTW, "sushi" is the vinegared rice, not raw fish. Raw fish is "sashimi."

(I dated an extremely good sushi chef for a couple of years and learned a lot, but it turned me into a sushi snob.)

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I don't have any particular sushi that I like but...I like unagi nigiri. There isn't too much I don't like when it's maki style though.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
My favorite was Uni sushi.

Put it in your mouth and close your eyes. Let the cold uni slide down your throat as you chew the soy sauce/wasabi laced rice and seaweed mixed with the remaining uni. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

But I don't eat uni or any shell fish anymore. Uni is to expensive anyway...:'(

Inside-out California rolls are good. Just like regular Cali roll but less seaweed.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Be mindful of eating tuna (and several other species) which has high levels of mercury in it.

This is especially so for pregnant woman or those who may soon become pregnant.

Try eating spicy salmon rolls rather than spicy tuna ..

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Be mindful of eating tuna (and several other species) which has high levels of mercury in it.

This is especially so for pregnant woman or those who may soon become pregnant.

Try eating spicy salmon rolls rather than spicy tuna ..
Yeah, the larger the fish, the higher the Hg levels are. I think most docs will warn expecting mothers and hopefuls about Hg in seafood. Hg easily and readily crosses the placenta and the blood brain barrier. It's now a widely accepted fact. Now they just got to get the ADA to admit that putting mercury in people's mouths, right by the base of their brains, is dangerous.

(the "silver" fillings in your mouths are made of about 50% mercury when they install them. 5 year later the same filling is NOT going to remain 50% mercury, but considerably less. Hmmm, I wonder where that mercury goes...)

Back to Japanese food... It's not sea food, but beef tataki is also quite good, and mercury free to boot.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I love the "sushi" style of resturants... But I'm huge fan of nigiri and sashimi...skip the rolled up "american-ised" stuff.
+100

My wife likes the rolls, but I keep us away from anything with Cream Chease.

We have over 50 places in town, and probably 5 that I go to, Most of them are Korean-Owned. Good food at most of them, Some are really Americanized, and some are real traditional. At least 8 have some type of All you can eat.

There is a place next to work that I usually go to and they start making a nigiri mix plate for me as soon as I walk in. I have gotten as many as 15 different things on the plate before. Really like diver clams, octupus, seared Tuna, sea bass, tuna belly, whatever is on my plate. The only things I don't like is Squid, and any of the fish egg nigiris. Never tried Uni, but someday.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
I'm simple. Yellowfin nigiri. Then probably something like a spicy tuna roll. Place near us makes a Lenny's Roll and a Volcano roll that are to die for. Then anything with scallops or shrimp. Not big on Salmon... too strong. Urchin and eel should not be eaten. The wasabi/soy mixture should be dark green. :rock: Oh, and a house salad with ginger dressing before hand.

I have a $20 gift certificate to Hiyashi that I suspect will get me enough sushi for them to bring it out to me on a boat.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.