Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some pics of my stock '03 w/ new carbon fiber keyguard & tank protector.

Post yours. :)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I have the same tank protector and I think it looks GREAT.  A little pricey, but it is real CF and has the logo on it.  Worth the extra couple of bucks, IMO.

That's the only CF I have, so I dont have to post a pic since you've seen it already  ;)

Oh, and I actually like the look of CF if it's done tastefully. I think the fake CF looks like dog crap. But the real stuff looks good if it's used accentually and not taken to the extreme.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stranger said:
i think carbon fiber is some of the ugliest crap out there. at least IMO
I use to agree with you, then one day, for no particular reason, I started liking it.

V

·
0 Posts
I've got the CF tank guard, the CF heel guards, CF radiator guards, CF chain guard, CF triple tree cover and CF Buell Cyclone style flyscreen. I may be selling my bike. If I don't sell it I want to add the CF front fender. If I do sell the SV, all of this stuff will be up for sale soon as I am going to replace all the stock stuff back if I sell the bike.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I really like well-made carbon fiber. I'm thinking of having someone make me a one-off custom carbon fiber dash for my SVS. Should be quite expensive and very bling!

Anyway all I have right now is my carbon M4 can.... http://firedragon.com/~novaclass/pics/bike_pics/exhaust/Front14_wo_me.jpg

Once I get my GSX-R front end on, I'm going to get front and rear carbon fenders.

·
Registered
55 Posts
+1 in karma if you have carbon on your bike
My entire fairing is carbon along with a carbon tank mount, fairing mount, shark guard and overflow catch can.  However it is all hidden under paint and inside the bike.   :-[

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GTKrockeTT - Where'd you get the CF chain gaurd? I might be interested in one.

CDNSVS - What's the peice attached to the radiator?

·
Registered
176 Posts
it's a Suzuki OEM guard, although it was made for the 1st Gen's. but, since it's just the guard, and not a hugger, it fits fine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
stranger said:
i think carbon fiber is some of the ugliest crap out there. at least IMO
I kind of agree with you. In the world of aviation maintenance, we jokingly refer to it as "carpet fiber", because the raw materials are dirt cheap compared to the finished product cost.

Durability (from our perspective) is an issue too.

Conversation examples:

Him: "Is that wing tip fairing damaged again?!?"

Me: "Yeah, but what do you expect, it's only made of carpet fiber."

Him: "It's too bad about that Airbus A-300 that crashed in New York and killed several hundred people."

Me: "Yes, it's a shame Airbus used carpet fiber attach fittings to secure the vertical fin to the fuselage."

Needless to say, I'm not too fond of the genuine stuff, and the fake "carbon look" parts make me want to hurl. ;D

·
Registered
397 Posts
Zanetti said:
I kind of agree with you. In the world of aviation maintenance, we jokingly refer to it as "carpet fiber", because the raw materials are dirt cheap compared to the finished product cost.

Durability (from our perspective) is an issue too.

Conversation examples:

Him: "Is that wing tip fairing damaged again?!?"

Me: "Yeah, but what do you expect, it's only made of carpet fiber."

Him: "It's too bad about that Airbus A-300 that crashed in New York and killed several hundred people."

Me: "Yes, it's a shame Airbus used carpet fiber attach fittings to secure the vertical fin to the fuselage."

Needless to say, I'm not too fond of the genuine stuff, and the fake "carbon look" parts make me want to hurl. ;D
Last time I checked, we didn't ride airplanes. Aside from kevlar composites, you aren't likely to find anything stronger for the weight. That's kind of pointless for a tank bra, but it works when you have a carbon fairing or carbon-reinforced gloves etc.

My first Ducati Peformance carbon fibre race fairing... It was smashed when my buddy totalled my SV, a new one is on the way.

And my tank shield

I've also had two sets of carbon-fibre reinforced gloves, Joe Rocket Phoenix and Alpinestars S-MX Air. My keychain is also real carbon, if that counts for anything :p

No fake stuff on my bike.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TestaStretta - Care to share how you mounted the Ducati fairing, and what model is it exactly (I assume a Monster one, but is it for a particular one)? Thanks ;D

·
Registered
397 Posts
merlot said:
TestaStretta - Care to share how you mounted the Ducati fairing, and what model is it exactly (I assume a Monster one, but is it for a particular one)?  Thanks  ;D
I made a set of simple brackets using sheet aluminum and brass nuts and bolts- I cut the aluminum into strips then attached them to the headlamp bracket in two places on each side. I used a metal spacer to reach the wider part of the fairing (on the inside, where it isn't noticeable) but you could bend the metal strip to match instead. The unit rests flush against the speedometer housing of the 2nd gen SV, which helps to support it and prevent wind buffeting. I used some brass nuts and bolts to secure it, to match the windscreen bolts Ducati provides in the kit. I'll post some pics later on when I mount the new one.

The item I used a Ducati Performance Race Fairing, part #96903799C . It is designed to fit all pre-1999 Monsters, which have nearly the same sized headlamp as the 2nd gen SV650. It was pricey - I paid about 550 CDN$ and had to have it imported. But it works superbly and looks great.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts