Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I've had this idea for a long time, and do not have the legal know how to actually make it happen.

This is an idea that would help us motorcyclists on the road. Here's it is:

Problem:

-Often drivers are not aware of the presence of a motorcycle, or even think that there might be a motorcycle close by, leading to a possible crash. Why? Because drivers were never taught to be aware of motorcycles.

When a young kid is taught how to drive by a driving school, a parent, or a relative, chances are that the word "motorcycle" is never even spoken. They'll teach them to watch out for pedestrians, for debris on the road, for signals, but not for motorcycles. Well it's not required, so why teach it?

Solution:

-Making the new drivers aware of the presence of motorcycles, by making them think about them. You can't be attentive about something, if you never think about it.

So how would we go about this?

-By changing the requirements of the driving test. Usually when you come to a stop you need to look left, right then left again, and you must turn the turning signal on, (at least here in Florida), if you don't execute these things, you fail.

Now let's implement my idea:

Every time you need to execute a maneuver, that requires you to look, and be attentive, the student should verbalize: "Looking twice for motorcycles"

Every stop sign, every 3 point turn, every change of lanes, should be accompanied by this sentence, or else you fail the test. It does not add difficulty to the skill test because there is no skill needed to be learned, just mental awareness. So I believe, that if we start by molding the way new drivers think, we can make them more aware of their surroundings, and make them safer drivers

Of course this is not going to solve the problem, but I think that if this could help to save even one life, it is worth the effort.

Now I need the legal know how from some of you braniacs, to help me realize this thing. I was thinking of making a petition, gather up names and signatures and create a proposal to present to the State (I would start in Florida for convenience, and then move further).

First of all what do you guys think? Can this be made better? what are your suggestions?

Second, what is the best way to start this movement?

This sentence can be more powerful than a bumper sticker...

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Along the same concepts, in WI, in order to be licensed to drive a school bus (or get a CDL, i cant remember which) you must vocalize all actions. My drivers ed instructor told me this when I was getting my licence. He said that it should be that way for all licences, not just the big rigs. I agree with him.

The best way to start this would be a lot of people, and professionals in the industry support the minor change. Maybe a petition of some sort. I'd sign and support it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
There are always enough people that just do not care, or should not even drive. Unfortunately, the only way to get rid of oblivious idiots is to take it to the track.

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
That's an interesting approach.

I think the root of the problem is not neccessarily that people aren't looking out for bikes specifically, rather they are simply not paying enough attention to the task at hand.

We take extra special care when riding because we face serious personal injury whether the mistake is ours or someone else's.

Cars are built with so many safety systems that people have become removed from the "I better pay attention to what I'm doing here, or I could get hurt or I could hurt someone" approach to driving. Without this approach, people allow themselves to drive without paying full attention to driving and that puts us all in danger.

I don't have an answer as to how we can get people to pay more attention to driving. At this point, it would require a serious cultural shift away from cell phones, eating/drinking, and complicated infotainment systems in cars.

Similarly, we should reject driver aids like 'blind spot monitors,' 'park assist,' 'back up cameras,' etc. that simply allow drivers to become complacent.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Schedule minutes for meetings with your state's Representing Senator or House of Reps to have your idea heard.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
That's an interesting approach.

I think the root of the problem is not neccessarily that people aren't looking out for bikes specifically, rather they are simply not paying enough attention to the task at hand.

We take extra special care when riding because we face serious personal injury whether the mistake is ours or someone else's.

Cars are built with so many safety systems that people have become removed from the "I better pay attention to what I'm doing here, or I could get hurt or I could hurt someone" approach to driving. Without this approach, people allow themselves to drive without paying full attention to driving and that puts us all in danger.

I don't have an answer as to how we can get people to pay more attention to driving. At this point, it would require a serious cultural shift away from cell phones, eating/drinking, and complicated infotainment systems in cars.

Similarly, we should reject driver aids like 'blind spot monitors,' 'park assist,' 'back up cameras,' etc. that simply allow drivers to become complacent.
+1

Drivers have been removed from the consaquences of their actions by safety systems in the car and insurance. What we really need is to bring back the consaquence for poor driving.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
True drivers are distracted more than ever nowadays, And for this very reason, we need to address the NEW drivers. Old drivers won't be affected by this change, but young minds can be trained to have at least in the back of their mind, a voice that says to look twice.

If we can make this happen, it wouldn't solve the problem in a couple of months, it will take years. But the changes are simple enough, and inexpensive enough, that it is feasible.

You can't change the number of distractions on the road, aside from banning talking and texting on the phone while driving, people are still gonna listen to loud music, drink their coffee, eat, shave, read, put make up on etc etc.... BUT while doing this, maybe the new training will help save a couple of lives...

Maybe I can start by doing a youtube video, I'll put some ideas down and do a time line, maybe if some of you want to get involved, you can pitch in, send me a short video of you, talking about your experience in an accident, involving a distracted driver.

We can start from there, and start a petition as well. The web is a powerful weapon, if we just limit to make a video that says "look twice for motorcycles" it is not going to affect anybody, us motorcyclists are gonna just nod our heads and say "true true" while others will think "uh, cool video" and move on with their lives...

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
+1

Drivers have been removed from the consaquences of their actions by safety systems in the car and insurance. What we really need is to bring back the consaquence for poor driving.

Yes, I think people approach it more like a video game than flying an airplane.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
The reason why most states require insurance is to compensate victims of driver negligence. The existence of insurance doesn't "remove consequences." I work for an insurance company and see the consequences of bad driving every day.

I have seen much more awareness of motorcyclists campaigns in the past five years than I had for the first five decades of my life. So I think education initiatives such as proposed by Prodigy would be both welcome and effective. (BTW, Prodigy, I don't know about Florida, but in most states you have to use your signal BEFORE you get to the point where you plan to turn. There's a special place in my personal hell for people who wait until I've chosen to pull up behind them before indicating that they're going to turn, especially left.:blob8:)

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
What we really need is to bring back the consaquence for poor driving.
That would help, people fail at the most simple tasks when it come to driving but nobody is teaching them the right way in the first place.
People need to learn how to drive or ride in the first place.
But I am pretty sure if you want to raise the bar for a licenses you would raise a **** storm.

Yes, I think people approach it more like a video game than flying an airplane.
1+
My traffic school teacher who also rode a bike said 10+ years ago to me that most people drive like their surroundings are a movie,
nothing they do effects them or others.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I have seen much more awareness of motorcyclists campaigns in the past five years than I had for the first five decades of my life. So I think education initiatives such as proposed by Prodigy would be both welcome and effective. (BTW, Prodigy, I don't know about Florida, but in most states you have to use your signal BEFORE you get to the point where you plan to turn. There's a special place in my personal hell for people who wait until I've chosen to pull up behind them before indicating that they're going to turn, especially left.:blob8:)
I have so many personal hell`s for so many different type of people that I almost have to quit my day job to keep up with it.

I learned that you signal first, than you brake and all in a timely matter.

The older I get the more agitated I get about stuff like that,
simple things which just required a very low level of conman sense.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
The biggest problem is distracted drivers. Crack down more on those and you will start to see a change. The next problem is that you are only tested once in your life to demonstrate you can drive. I think you should retake the test every 5 years when you renew your license. Then you could actually emphasize all of the important points (including watching out for motorcycles) at regular intervals.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The biggest problem is distracted drivers. Crack down more on those and you will start to see a change. The next problem is that you are only tested once in your life to demonstrate you can drive. I think you should retake the test every 5 years when you renew your license. Then you could actually emphasize all of the important points (including watching out for motorcycles) at regular intervals.
Government doesn't like spending additional money on testing, If we want to make a change, and we want it to happen, it needs to be the least invasive possible IMHO.

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
It's going to have to be invasive, whether governmentally or culturally (I strongly prefer culturally).

People have been free to 'get away with' inattentive driving for far far too long. It's too easy to say "I made it here alive, so I must be a good driver," when in reality, you backed out of your driveway into traffic, crossed the center line in the curves in your neighborhood, didn't signal into the coffee shop, didn't park straight at the coffee shop, never saw the guy you cut off while merging onto the highway, wandered a few times into another lane, and parked crooked at work.

Unfortunately, people allow and compensate for each others' digressions in these small, but important ways and most of us make it where we need to go every day.

SO, how do we change our 'do the least possible' culture back towards one of discipline and excellence?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Government doesn't like spending additional money on testing, If we want to make a change, and we want it to happen, it needs to be the least invasive possible IMHO.
That is why it takes a movement to get changes made. It also creates jobs and increases public safety. The problem is that the general public thinks they are great drivers and dont need to prove anything to anyone.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
The reason why most states require insurance is to compensate victims of driver negligence. The existence of insurance doesn't "remove consequences." I work for an insurance company and see the consequences of bad driving every day.
First of all I know what insurance is for and I am not arguing against it. But it does remove ir more accurately separate us from the consaquence of our actions. Instead of facing a huge bill to pay for the damage we cause, we get a small deductible to pay and maybe a fine. The rest is paid by our insurance. Effect consaquence has need diminished. We do end up paying for it, but this is hidden by our insurance payments we make, which might not even go up. Even if it does, the consequence would be less. We don't pay the full cost of our actions up front anymore, it has been removed and hidden in our deductible and premiums. End effect is we percieve less consaquences for our actions.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts