Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that license plate is not legal haha, but my question is if you can have an exhaust system that high, so that it practically blocks the left/right turn signals.

WI DMV/law site is crapperz

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Why wonder if the exhaust is legal?
They're aftermarket cans so technically they're not legal, along with the turn signals.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why wonder if the exhaust is legal?
They're aftermarket cans so technically they're not legal, along with the turn signals.
I can't believe I did not know that. Thread answered, I guess police officers really don't care considering the fact that it seems like everyone changes those parts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Also, to my knowledge there's nothing illegal about that plate...

I've been ridding with the side/swingarm mount for over a year now and plenty of LEO have taken rather close looks at my bike and never mentioned anything about it...

*shrugs* maybe its a state to state sort of thing.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I can't believe I did not know that. Thread answered, I guess police officers really don't care considering the fact that it seems like everyone changes those parts.
Generally they don't care. But if one ever did, you can get tickets for all of it. Basically its illegal to alter any of the equipment on motorcycles. Turn signals and exhausts are not DOT approved.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Wow I didn't know this. Then how do dealerships sell bikes with aftermarket exhausts and still get them registered?
Matter of enforcement. The matter of legality is not the same as say having no insurance. Every exhaust manufactured has the words "For offroad use only" stamped somewhere on the package and/or paperwork.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Also, to my knowledge there's nothing illegal about that plate...

I've been ridding with the side/swingarm mount for over a year now and plenty of LEO have taken rather close looks at my bike and never mentioned anything about it...

*shrugs* maybe its a state to state sort of thing.
You have just run into officers who didn't feel like busting your balls. License plates must be horizontal, have a it lit when it is dark, and be able to be seen equally from both sides.

·
Registered
381 Posts
yeah--everyonething is illegal about that bike techincally

that tag will get you pulled over quick in Ga.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In Washington state Police check the loudness of your exhaust if its over a certain lvl they can impound your bike till you get it fixed.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Exhaust is a state by state, even city by city deal. Most US made non-race slip ons and full systems have a DOT stamp, my Scorpion has a European Union stamp (this is with the baffle IN in all cases). Some jurisdictions use dB meters to establish legality. Denver, CO recently said that they would ticket any after market exhaust, but people were fighting that, I never heard how it came out.
Your exhaust height is not an issue, that is no higher than factory under tails, and certainly not higher than a lot of street legal dual purpose bikes.
97dB is state law in Wyoming and the state of Colorado, this could be as low as 87dB in some states. Katrider.com has a state by state regulation sheet as a stickey, we should have it here.

In good old Wyoming, we get cut a lot of slack; there are Harleys running all over with straight pipes. This is a big reason places like Denver are cracking down.

Your turn signal lights are OK as long as they have a DOT stamp on them. If not, they are not legal in any state.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts