Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son got a ticket on his bike for failure to come to a full stop at a stop sign.....he stopped but didn't put his foot down. He knows that he had to put his foot down and the ticket was within the definition of the law but the problem is the LEO who wrote the ticket put the wrong birth date on the ticket for my son. Is it worth hiring a lawyer to try and get this thrown out because of that or should he just suck it up and pay the fine? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
My son got a ticket on his bike for failure to come to a full stop at a stop sign.....he stopped but didn't put his foot down. He knows that he had to put his foot down and the ticket was within the definition of the law but the problem is the LEO who wrote the ticket put the wrong birth date on the ticket for my son. Is it worth hiring a lawyer to try and get this thrown out because of that or should he just suck it up and pay the fine? Thanks!
I would make my kid pay for it. I tell them all the time, if you get caught own up and deal with it.

My $ .02!

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
+1

my parents made me pay for my tickets, and when i had to hire a traffic lawyer in college, i had to pay for that as well..... after paying for the lawyer, i havent even gotten pulled over ;D

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, no.....if a lawyer is best HE will pay for it! Trust me....My question, is it worth the time to search out a lawyer if it can be thrown out because the cop screwed up. For what it's worth he got the ticket in the parking lot where he goes to college. One of those stop signs between parking lots....not really on the main roads but since the school is state property....yadda yadda yadda the rules of the road apply.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
First thing I would want to know. Since it has been so long since I have had a ticket. It is a moving violation, can it be waived, are there points involved? If it can be waived and no points then just pay the stupid ticket. Even if the Cop was a DA and wrote the wrong DOB.

Maybe he will learn to pay better attention. Got's to watch out for the POPO they sure a sneaky little porkers!;D

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Most likely not worth it. Its a petty ticket. Some will say "fight every ticket", cause well yes theres always a chance you can get out of it with or without a lawyer. But the time and potential money (lawyer) isn't worth it to me. It is to some though.

DOB errors arent a big deal. License plate numbers are.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Most likely not worth it. Its a petty ticket. Some will say "fight every ticket", cause well yes theres always a chance you can get out of it with or without a lawyer. But the time and potential money (lawyer) isn't worth it to me. It is to some though.

DOB errors arent a big deal. License plate numbers are.
+1 not worth the money. If your son has a clean record he might be able to get it dropped in court. I would just go in dressed good with a good attitude and try and negotiate with the county attorney/ judge. Oh and if the officer doesnt show the ticket gets dropped. I have also heard of people negotiating so that if they pay a bigger fine the ticket wont go on their driving record and affect their insurance.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
You can take it to court yourself and point out that error to the judge. If it's worthy then the judge will kick the ticket because of that. Just because you get a ticket doesn't mean you shouldn't take it to court. Court if one of the three options you have so don't let others tell you to just pay it and shut up.

Some people ***** about the right to bare arms and crap all the time. Well I say take your tickets to court, it's your right to do so with any and every ticket.

:)

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Well personally I dont plead guilty on any ticket, cause it can't hurt to plead not guilty. Often courts will be too swamped and will throw out plea bargains with ease. And if they dont, then you'll end up with the same as if you did plea guilty. Can't hurt like I said.

However a failure to stop ticket is petty. It doesn't get much lower than that. All the judges I know will laugh at an incorrect DOB. Too many snobs coming in and saying "hey the popo missed a letter in my name LOLWTFLMAOBBQ!!1!!"

Hey, it could work. I'm just saying....speaking from experience, thats all.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
When my oldest 2 kids got old enough to drive they knew they were responsible for their tickets. I wouldn't go to court with them when they faced the judge. Luckily, the County Judges would not allow kids to just pay their tickets, they would give them fines that they had to work off with community service. Those tickets also didn't go against their records either. After one had to pick up trash on main street, while wearing an orange vest and the other one had to work at the dog pound the day it was "gas the dogs" day neither one of them got another ticket.

I wouldn't waste the money on a lawyer either. Go to court and have him plead his own case. If it doesn't get tossed, ask for a deferral. It still costs, but doesn't go against his record.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
i agree, take every ticket to court. if more people would start doing it, then cops would start handing out less tickets!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Back in HS when I had to go to traffic school there was a guy there who got the same kind of ticket. The judge took him outside and told him if he sat on the bike, feet up, for 30 sec he would through it out. He didn't; thus, why he was in traffic school.

·
Registered
920 Posts
By all means take it to court. Hopefully the Judge will have enough sense to realize that what's really important here, isn't that the person the ticket was issued to did exactly what the ticket says he did, but rather that the whole thing should be thrown out because an "i" wasn't dotted or a "t" wasn't crossed when the ticket was filled out.

At all times and in all situations, I find it's best to deflect attention as far away from the topic at hand as possible. It just plain gets us out of more stuff.

Teach your kids this as well. The earlier it's drummed into their heads that there's a way to wiggle out of anything, and/or make excuses for everything....the better off they'll be.

.....or not.

;)

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
I always put my foot down when I stop. Hard not to. Habbit, and it gives me just one or two more seconds to make DAM- SURE I'm not going to pull out in front of someone.

Don't hire a lawyer. Like Ed said, the DOB being incorrect will be ignored. Have your son pay the small fine and learn a lesson. Always put your foot down when you stop. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Don't hire a lawyer. Like Ed said, the DOB being incorrect will be ignored. Have your son pay the small fine and learn a lesson. Always put your foot down when you stop. :thumbsup:
Agreed, your son was wrong. Make him deal with the consequences. If the argument comes up that the LEO was wrong too, give him the old "if everyone jumped off a bridge" line. In the end, it'll make him a more cautious rider; win-win.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
If it was for points or something serious I could see getting a lawyer and fighting it but trying to nitpick your way out of a minor ticket because of an incorrect date would just be teaching him to accept less than full responsibility for his actions

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
it's a shame this thread wasn't entitled, "parenting question." ;)

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
My son got a ticket on his bike for failure to come to a full stop at a stop sign.
That's where the discussion should have stopped. Or never started. Petty or not, your son committed a traffic violation. PERIOD.

Your son SHOULD pay for his mistakes. Failing to enforce that says a lot about how you look at the "system".

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
I would suggest checking out the traffic laws for motorcycles. If part of the definition of coming to a complete stop includes having a foot down, just pay it and be done. But, if it doesn't say anything about your feet, you might be able to fight it.

You = your son in the above.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.