Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This problem started about two weeks ago when I had left my bike outside overnight only to wake up to pouring rain. I pulled the bike into the garage thinking that everything was ok. The next day when I tried to start the bike it was very groggy and sputtering. I was able to get it going and ride it around a little bit thinking that it would get some fuel through it and return to its old state. Well, I got back to my place and it was still running like crap. I left it set for about 20 minutes idling in the garage. I then shut it off because i needed to go somewhere. The next day I went back out and it wouldn't even start. it would sputter up a little every now and then but it didn't seem to want to run. My roomate and I ended up changing the spark plugs thinking that they might be a little gummed up. That didn't prove any results. I have no clue what is going on with my bike and any idea on what I should do next would be helpful.

G

·
could be several things, id get some gas treatment incase you have some water in it. next try not using that blue text anymore. if it has carbs look for your drain screws on each of them and let them drain for a bit to make sure that gas and only gas is in them. water is more dense than gas so it will be at the bottom with the gas floating ontop of it. if all that fails pull the tank and flush/fill with some fresh gas and a fuel/carb cleaner and see what that does for ya.

·
Registered
480 Posts
next try not using that blue text anymore.
+1.

as for your bike not starting, you have water in your tank. remove the tank and drain it out completely. then drain the float bowls (assuming this is a 1st gen). replace tank, refill with fresh gas, start. it may run a little rough at first but let it blow the water out and it should be fine.

bster13 had this same problem at the track after leaving his bike out overnight in pouring rain and this is how we got it started.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
marix said:
next try not using that blue text anymore.
I can't stress that point enough!!!

For all the times I've left my bike out in the rain or ridden in the rain I've never had water in the tank. So I'd check around you gas cap to make sure your getting a solid seal to prevent this from happening again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all. It was gas in my tank and in my floats. I drained the gas tank and also drained the carb floats and this solved the problem. I'm guessing that it did get through the cap seal. The leak was bad enough that I'm guessing I had about 6-8 oz of water in the tank itself which would explain why it just wasn't running. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts