Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all. I just noticed my left fork is leaking. I clearly see oil on my dust cover. I have never done anything like replacing oil and seals in forks and was wondering if any fellow members in Atlanta area would be willing to help? Beer and food is on me :). I can even pay little money if required.
Please let me know ASAP.
thanks guys

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
It isn't a difficult job, but it does require some equipment and tools. You need a way of suspending the front end. This can be done various ways like with ratchet straps hung from above somehow, or better, with a front steering stem stand. A rear stand is also needed. Then, you will need metric sockets and wrenches, metric hex sockets, and a torque wrench. These are all things you should have to maintain your motorcycle.

The process is, basically, to remove the handlebar from its risers, remove the front wheel and fender, slide the forks out of the triple clamps, remove the dust covers, unscrew the fork caps, dump everything (oil, springs, washers, spacer) out of the forks and remove the spring clips that hold the seals in. Then you need to either use a hydraulic press to blast out the seals without removing the damper rods (haven't heard of anyone doing this on an SV, but works on other bikes) or (most commonly) remove the damper rods so you can separate the inner from the outer fork tubes. Removing the damper rods can be frustrating without an impact wrench.

Once the damper rods are out you can bang the inner tube upward against the outer tube ("slide hammer") to dislodge the oil seals. You will need to make or buy a seal driver (preferred) or you can use a drift to set the new seals. Then fill with new fork oil to spec level and reassemble everything.

None of these tasks require really advanced mechanical knowledge or skill, it is just turning wrenches, a little pounding, and measuring volumes and torque values. Anyone with the necessary tools can do it and there are a lot of step-by-step directions available.

If it all sounds too complicated or difficult for you, you can at least save some money by sliding the forks out and taking them to a shop and paying them to replace the seals. The work then is not much more than what you would do to take off a wheel for tire replacement.

If you are getting estimates from shops, you should probably call Traxxion Dynamics in Woodstock (770) 592-3823 and ask what they would charge to do it if you bring the bike in or just the forks. They are suspension experts and chances are excellent that it will be done right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts