Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked over some threads on here and a few other sites, but no real good answers. How can you slow down LED Turnsignals flash rate???
I understand why it does it. Just wondering if there is any plug and play ways of doing it?
Ive seen the resistors but I'm not a huge fan on cutting up my wires if I really dont have to....

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Either add a resistor or a regular incandescent bulb in the line (an additional signal, which ends up doing the same thing).

·
Registered
740 Posts
Either add a resistor or a regular incandescent bulb in the line (an additional signal, which ends up doing the same thing).
This. The flash rate is a function of the resistance, amongst other things. Increasing the resistance, via either a simple resistor or a bulb, will decrease the flast rate.

You had to tinker with the wiring to swap signals. This is the same and the parts are dirt cheap. You can do it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
802 Posts
I like the faster rate. I think it is an attention getter which is a very good thing on a bike.

·
Registered
288 Posts
does anyone know what the wattage is on the standard incadescent bulb for the turn signals? I don't have my bike with me and need to know the wattage, thanks!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cyclegear sells a module that plugs in between the harness and the signals to slow them down - i bet there is some 90 cent radio shack thing that will work as well.
Yeah I have checked this out from cyclegear, only 2 mintues from my house I'm there all the time.
That unit is plug and play for Honda/Kaw/Yamaha but not for Suzuki :angry1:
I would have to conection and go from there, no thanks. I think I'm just going to trade for some non L.E.D. turnsignals.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I like the high rate of flash personally. I even turned the front marker lights into turn signals.

Check this site for resisters if you really want one. http://autolumination.com/ but you can put a resistor in line to bump line load, 5W should do it since that is what the front marker lights pull stock.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
I fixed mine many moons ago by going to Radio Shack and buying two (2) 20watt, 10ohm resistors.

You will need to solder in ONE (1) resistor per circuit to fix it. One on the left, one on the right.

NOT ONE PER LIGHT.

Solder them in parallel. If you don't know what this means, look it up on Google, but a quick idea of it is this:

Imagine your turn signal light's wires are the vertical legs on a ladder. The rungs of the ladder run horizontally and attach to both legs. The resistor is the rung in the system.

This will fix your problem.

20watt resistors because they will get quite hot turning electrical energy into heat energy. Don't worry, though. They won't heat up enough to do any damage to parts they touch.

10watt resistors will work well enough, but there's a higher chance of failure because they aren't designed for continuous use at the higher wattage output of the bike.

So, if you somehow find resistors that are greater than 20watts, they'll work great, and not heat up as much. 20watt resistors are really the minimum.

·
Registered
154 Posts
A much better idea than putting big resistors on your turn signal's wiring is to simply replace your turn signal relay with a electronic version available at most any auto-parts store. The electronic relay doesn't care about the resistance unlike the original one and just works like it's supposed to. I had to do this on mine as the p.o. had installed aftermarket turn signals that would flash at a much higher rate, problem solved.

I realize that you're probably not doing this to save on electric power but those resistors would waste whatever power you would save by going to led turn signals.
Tony

1 - 13 of 13 Posts