Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, wondering if anyone has done this yet. The new headlight feels a little dim to me so maybe upgrading to LEDs might help driving at night.

It seems a lot of people put JW speaker headlights on the older SV gen 2 models for a while but I've yet to find any information.

Wondering if anybody had any information that could point me in a good direction. I'm pretty new to motorcycles, so i'm opening to hearing any input that might help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Im not sure on a third gen, but you could probably buy an emgo bucket the 7 inch Kawasaki style one usually runs about 45 bucks and then install the jw speaker into that. northridge 4x4 sells the jw speaker for $225.
Not a cheap option, but keeps the style of the bike I guess.

·
Registered
966 Posts
JW Speaker would be the standard that all other 7" buckets are trying to achieve. Farmer_Frank (member here) did an install on his SV with the JW speaker. Here's a link to his how-to:
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310785

For a much less expensive option Morimoto has a nice unit. I've seen photo's of it online but never personally seen the beam pattern. Here is a link:
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/closeouts/morimoto-sealed7-bi-led-headlights-7.html

2 bits of advise for you though
- 100000% stay away from LED plug and play "bulbs".
- Ultimately get what you pay for and JW speaker lights are pretty awesome.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
You can always try the budget option first. Most bikes have a significant voltage drop at the headlight socket. Running your headlight off a relay so it gets full battery voltage and a bright bulb can yield some pretty good results.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JW Speaker would be the standard that all other 7" buckets are trying to achieve. Farmer_Frank (member here) did an install on his SV with the JW speaker. Here's a link to his how-to:
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310785

For a much less expensive option Morimoto has a nice unit. I've seen photo's of it online but never personally seen the beam pattern. Here is a link:
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/closeouts/morimoto-sealed7-bi-led-headlights-7.html

2 bits of advise for you though
- 100000% stay away from LED plug and play "bulbs".
- Ultimately get what you pay for and JW speaker lights are pretty awesome.
This sounds good, and ultimately starts to align with the small amount of research that I found last night.

Too bad i haven't found a light has a nice halo on it that i've found good reviews for yet.

I'll take a look at Farmer Frank's experiences.

---

It's also nice to have the actual Farmer Frank respond hahahahahah.
I've set aside some money purposely for this LED thing, but good to know that there are other options.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Look up headlight revolution on Youtube. He does a pretty extensive test of all the popular 7" led headlights. That's how I chose a jw speaker for my Ninja 650r that I converted to a naked. He's also the reason I stay away from the cheaper options as his tests showed how the knock offs were nearly just as dim as stock. On of my friends is using another brand on his Seca 2 (https://www.amazon.com/Lights-Daymaker-Generation-Headlight-Davidson/dp/B018RE69R8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1494392339&sr=8-3&keywords=eagle+lights+7+round) I know the JW is $100 more, but the JW is made in Wisconsin and comes with a 5yr warranty. Also JW is the company who makes the Daymaker headlights for Harley and the only difference is the 8700 evo 2 doesn't have any Harley markings on it.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Unless you can find info about it published somewhere else I'd steer clear. I think some knock off manufacturers have been getting wise to people being wary of cheaply priced imitations and some will charge a price similar to the real deals while still selling a ****ty knockoff.

For that price I'd just get the J.W. Speaker and be done with it. If you want to continue looking at alternatives you might want to take a peek at jeep forums. Most of these LED lights are PAR56 mounting so they fit right in jeeps.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I run an ADV Monster drop-in H4 on my WR450, but only because available power is limited. The beam pattern isn't good, and this is one of the better reviewed ones.

I just got 3 of the Morimoto Sealed7 units yesterday, 2 for the truck and one for my SV1000. I haven't had the chance to test them yet.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unless you can find info about it published somewhere else I'd steer clear. I think some knock off manufacturers have been getting wise to people being wary of cheaply priced imitations and some will charge a price similar to the real deals while still selling a ****ty knockoff.

For that price I'd just get the J.W. Speaker and be done with it. If you want to continue looking at alternatives you might want to take a peek at jeep forums. Most of these LED lights are PAR56 mounting so they fit right in jeeps.
Wow I had no idea there was such a racket going on for those lights. Thanks for this.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The best bang for the buck brightness-wise is still to go HID. If you're concerned about glare too, your costs for projectors and the associated problem with cutoff on a bike that tilts when it turns has to be considered.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Hey, wondering if anyone has done this yet. The new headlight feels a little dim to me so maybe upgrading to LEDs might help driving at night.

Thanks!
You could first try getting a HID Xenon bulb conversion kit from Ebay to see if it's brighter. I have one ordered and it's in the mail.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
okay updates: I ended up buying an LED light turns out that getting the LED to fit in the inner ring is going to be a huge problem.

http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/suz/59091d3387a8660fa09ff6f7/headlamp

as you can see the in the image above the ring mounts at the 12 and 6 positions but theres no real way to get the ring to attach to the back of the headlight.

which looks like this:

anyone have any insights on how i can try and put these together?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
There's a plate that sits behind the reflector assembly that it bolts to.

I had to do some grinding on mine to get it to physically fit in the front ring, due to a minor diameter difference, but that's it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There's a plate that sits behind the reflector assembly that it bolts to.

I had to do some grinding on mine to get it to physically fit in the front ring, due to a minor diameter difference, but that's it.
Alright i'll take a look for it tonight, if not I might just remove the stock bucket and get a new one thats fork mounted. But thanks I'll keep an out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Alright i'll take a look for it tonight, if not I might just remove the stock bucket and get a new one thats fork mounted. But thanks I'll keep an out.
any update? id like to see what it looks like mounted. Ive been thinking of an led headlight too

1 - 20 of 52 Posts