Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

LED Gear Indicator

3K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  BKL 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Many folks (I'm one of 'em) like having a gear indicator. Peace of mind, whatever. W/o it, I find myself always wanting to shift into 7th gear, which this helps me avoid. I occasionally would find myself cruising after downshifting and finally realizing I would be better in a higher gear.
Many manufacturers offer them as standard equipment, so somebody sees some value in having them.
Bottom line - If you don't want one, don't buy one.

#16 ·
I usually know what gear I'm in but still, I'd love to get one of these guys. There's always that rare time where you make a mistake downshifting and one little glance of it can keep you from wacking the throttle while leaned over in first gear (you shouldn't be wacking the throttle anyway but you get my drift).

Also, for people that have lowered their gearing, there's always that ever-elusive 7th gear. Counting is hard when you're WFO. :D

#24 ·
Looks like a wire for each gear. You need to open up the gear sensor and solder on a wire to each contact. It's not terribly hard, I did mine to do a no-cost TRE. (broke some resistors and shorted the connectors to 5th gear)

The toughest part is getting the foamy goo out off the sensor circuit board. The contacts are easy to identify.

#25 ·
I love having a gear indicator. Its most helpful to me when I have to slow down for a turn and I cant remember if I am in 4 or 5 and I need to drop to 2 quickly. I either have to drop to 1 then go up one or guess and hope I am right lol Its not necessary but its definitely convenient.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.