Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
You can't remember what gear you are in when you are riding?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Too much math.

I can't understand why these are needed. So you are sure you are in 1st at a red light? So you know you are in 6th on the freeway? A simple tap of the shift lever in either situation will give you the answer.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Many folks (I'm one of 'em) like having a gear indicator. Peace of mind, whatever. W/o it, I find myself always wanting to shift into 7th gear, which this helps me avoid. I occasionally would find myself cruising after downshifting and finally realizing I would be better in a higher gear.
Many manufacturers offer them as standard equipment, so somebody sees some value in having them.
Bottom line - If you don't want one, don't buy one.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've got the Trackday Electronics one and it works great. It also acts as a TRE, which I also wanted. It was about $100 shipped, cheaper than the Healtech one.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Many folks (I'm one of 'em) like having a gear indicator. Peace of mind, whatever. W/o it, I find myself always wanting to shift into 7th gear, which this helps me avoid. I occasionally would find myself cruising after downshifting and finally realizing I would be better in a higher gear.
Many manufacturers offer them as standard equipment, so somebody sees some value in having them.
+1

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Don't like it? Move on, don't criticize others over there mods.

Too much math.

I can't understand why these are needed. So you are sure you are in 1st at a red light? So you know you are in 6th on the freeway? A simple tap of the shift lever in either situation will give you the answer.
Same, some people like myself enjoy it. If you don't like it move on.

+2 I love my Trackday Electronics one! It also acts as a TRE!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Just noticed your in TX, howdy :hello:

So not to be a prude, but how many 7 speed motorcycles do you own/ride :)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

+2 I love my Trackday Electronics one! It also acts as a TRE!

How is a simple question criticizing? Don't assume, if I wanted to criticize I could have said something derogatory.

How does this act as a TRE? Is that feature built into the device? If you already have a TRE you would obviously want to remove it then, otherwise would the double feature negate itself?

·
Registered
832 Posts
I was not criticizing. It was a genuine question. I use engine sound to judge when to shift, so I wanted to know what the appeal of the indicator is.

Wouldn't a gear indicator be considered a farkle?
SV's aren't meant to have lil farkles on them ie switches, under lighting, etc etc etc.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
How is a simple question criticizing? Don't assume, if I wanted to criticize I could have said something derogatory.

How does this act as a TRE? Is that feature built into the device? If you already have a TRE you would obviously want to remove it then, otherwise would the double feature negate itself?
Yes it has the TRE built in to the module.

I was not criticizing. It was a genuine question. I use engine sound to judge when to shift, so I wanted to know what the appeal of the indicator is.

Wouldn't a gear indicator be considered a farkle?

No it's not a farkle in my book considering other bikes are coming equipped with them. To me it's just another lil upgrade.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I usually know what gear I'm in but still, I'd love to get one of these guys. There's always that rare time where you make a mistake downshifting and one little glance of it can keep you from wacking the throttle while leaned over in first gear (you shouldn't be wacking the throttle anyway but you get my drift).

Also, for people that have lowered their gearing, there's always that ever-elusive 7th gear. Counting is hard when you're WFO. :D

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Timing retard eliminator. It eliminates the timing retard in 1st-3rd or 2nd gears. It makes a big difference if you like to take off fast in 1st and 2nd gear!
Sorry, second dumb questions . what is the retard in gears? I'm rather new to this..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts