Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone do this when they go somewhere on the bike?

I don't, or, at least I haven't yet.

I just don't feel comfortable leaving my helmet with the bike if I go in someplace.

Anyone have any reccomendations on a good way to secure your helmet to the bike? If I go into a store, I really don't wanna have to carry my helmet with me the whole time I'm in there.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Under the rear seat there are helmet clips to secure it and replace the seat to lock it in place.
That being said, I never leave my helmet outside unless I am near..

·
Registered
973 Posts
rarely. if i feel safe about the place ill lock it to the hooks under the passenger seat. normally ill just carry it around with me.helmets aint cheap.

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
If at work I clip it to my bike (no helmet lock) if rain is not expected. If I run into a store I leave it on my gas tank. Stealing a helmet is retarded. If you want it that bad, it's yours. Mine is a few years old and probably smells like my head. You aren't benefiting.

·
Registered
95 Posts
$500 Arai gets locked any time I decide to not carry it. I leave it with the bike so long as there is no rain. I feel there is more risk sitting with it at a bar and having some drunk stumble by and knock it to the floor.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
I almost always carry mine, unless I'm going to be walking around for a while. Then it gets locked up.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I leave my helmet on my bike all the time. But I also don't ride in the city very often. Most of the time I am out in some old town somewhere or a park. If I do go downtown I don't like to leave my bike let alone my helmet. If it is going to be parked fora while I guess I would take it with me. So far I have never been in the city away from the bike. I might stop for a 1/2 or something and people watch then I got to GTFO. Sitting still just isn't my thing.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I usually carry mine at all times...Every once in a while I lock it up but that's when I'm close to it.

Like in college I leave it locked up and when I go to stores or something, but if is a place I don't know or haven't been there I take it with me.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I usually carry mine.
I only lock it with the bike when I am in a pits area. Like the pits to the drag races this year or the local SCCA rally races....If someone is going to steal my helmet over someones tools or expensive tires etc then by all means have it.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
It depends on how pretty your helmet is.

I've heard of thieves cutting the chin stap while the helmet is locked to the bike. They obviously were not planning on using that helmet again.

Now, a plain looking / older helmet is probably safe locked to a bike.

Leaving the helmet unlocked on the bike? Only while it's in direct sight.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I leave mine, but I run a lock around the chin guard. I also want an excuse to buy a Scorpion. I just don't like my HJC.

I'd trade ya but I dont know where your head has been!

Ok that and you probably wouldnt want a blue & purple one that says "Paradise" on the back.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Only when I stop somewhere that I am the only one around. Or like when we are at the SV rally and we pull off at a look out or something. But never when I go to a store, resturant, work, etc...

·
Registered
31 Posts
In college I used to leave mine with the bike (locked under the passenger seat). I figured there is a ton of bikes around that don't get vandalized, so whats the problem? Well one day I came out to the parking lot to find my helmet gone and a huge scratch in the body work where the a$$hole cut the strap.

What good is a helmet without the d-rings? Its not like you can replace those things.

I still would beat that person within an inch of their life if I found them. I hate thieves.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Throw mine in the top case if its on or carry it.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
It depends on how pretty your helmet is.

I've heard of thieves cutting the chin stap while the helmet is locked to the bike. They obviously were not planning on using that helmet again.

Now, a plain looking / older helmet is probably safe locked to a bike.

Leaving the helmet unlocked on the bike? Only while it's in direct sight.
Do you really believe that? With all the guys I see running around with helmets half on their heads, I doubt the chin strap and double-D rings are on their list of important things to remember.

Ol' Helmet Stealer said:
List of important things to remember:
Steal helmet.
Attach helmet to head with straps to keep precious thieving brain safe.
Countersteer.

Nevermind, I see it.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I usually try to take mine with me, but that's not ideal either, as it's more prone to get banged around that way.

If I'm parked with a lot of bikes, especially if there are other helmets just sitting out there, I'll leave mine locked to the bike. I figure there are easier pickings if someone wants a free helmet.

I just got a free gear lock at a Buell dealer. Check it out, here:
http://www.buell.com/en_us/get-your...p?source_cd=Email_052909_BuellNews&camp_id=16

If you have a full-face helmet, you can use this, or any similar cable lock, to secure your helmet to your bike. It should be a bit more of a deterrent than simply securing the D-rings to the helmet lock on the bike.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts