Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Try it on

There are three ways to get a good fit:
1. Have the suit made for you. Good makers assemble numerous body measurements and you get a suit that works.
2. Have the same body dimensions and proportions as the "standards" that makers use. Tricky. Experience with clothing from a particular maker is helpful.
3. Try it on. Remember when trying on leathers that you need to assume your normal riding position to ensure comfy days in the saddle.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow - that chart is crazy-stupid. in order to have my waist and inseem, i need to be between 5'8 and 5'10 and drop 5-10 pounds. so someone grab my hands and someone else grab the feet and puuuullllllllllllllllll...

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
The charts are always a little screwy looking to me too.

Just becuase Im 5'7", doesnt mean I weigh 140lbs. :shock:
Im actually glad I dont too.

But I just get the kind that fits my rounder dimensions, and the height will matter a little less.

Or you could just have Barnacle Bill make you a set.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
What size suit do you wear? That should get you in the ballpark. Then go to a dealer and try a few on.

leathers don't "fit" anyone....

·
Registered
613 Posts
Wow, I'll be in the market for a suit in the next year and I don't fit into any category. According to my weight and inseam, I'd have to lose 40 pounds and a couple inches from my chest and waist. :shock:

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
DrummerDaveB said:
The charts are always a little screwy looking to me too.

Just becuase Im 5'7", doesnt mean I weigh 140lbs. :shock:
Im actually glad I dont too.
Sadly most suit are designed to fit the classice motorcyclist body type. I am not the classic motorcyclist body type. I have longer arms, smaller waist and broader shoulders and back. I have to have all sort of aterations done to suit jackets to fit me, I so can't buy off the rack. :(

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Wahoo I pretty much fit into the 42" category. Then again I already knew that 8)

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Get perfed suits...they stretch a bit more for the more "shapely" riders. Doesn't look pretty but it gets the job done.

Josh: Pompton Honda has a few suits and a dressing room so you can throw a few of them on to get a feel for what fits.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Muddturtle3 said:
Josh: Pompton Honda has a few suits and a dressing room so you can throw a few of them on to get a feel for what fits.
thanks. i was planning headnig there tonight to try on some boots too.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
If this was perforated, I would get it.

I am slim and have broad shoulders at 6'1" and 175lbs. (My biceps are huge, too!! :roll: )

It's priced at $219 closeout right now. It is tapered to fit at the waist for guys like me and most other thinner people.

http://www.newenough.com/teknic_violator_jacket_page.htm

It's got a full-circumference zipper, too; that's one of the major deciding factors for me.

Josh

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have a full circumfrence zipper on my leather pants and jacket. i could use that for the track. i found a AGV suit on ebay starting bid at $75, ending today. figured it might be a good grab. but i need to go try on suits first...

it was size 46. anyone want the link?

S

·
0 Posts
ShaggyZ said:
If this was perforated, I would get it.

Josh
There are leather shops out there that will "perf" that jacket for you, probably cost less than $50.

L

·
0 Posts
My leathers, teknic... I bought them from an 11 year old boy who raced. (yes i'm a wee bit smaller than your avg chica. ) HA!!... I would like to invest in some perfed joe rockets cus they are reasonably priced and cooler in the summer.

let us know what you decided.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just a heads up, if any of you guys have a cycle gear store near you, it's a great place to go and try on leathers (mostly dianese, frank thomas). I was going to wait till next year to get a set but, I went in the store to pick up some tools and thought I'd check prices on leathers.

They have a house brand "motoboss", the one piece sells for $499 and was on sale for $149. I tried on a 42 (my jaket size, 3yrs ago)and it wasn't working out, went up to a 46 and it was a tad roomy, BTW I'm 5'11" 200lbs.

They only had red in this store, but they called another store in GA and had a black set shipped to them (at no extra cost to me). They called me 3 days later to tell me they had arrived. I went to pick up and had to get a set of pucks($35) since the suit didn't come with any, a helmet band ($15, like a quiet rider), and much to my surprise my total came to be $185ish.

The price had dropped again to $119, and were still going for that price as of this past Sat. May not be the best on the market but, I couldn't pass up a steal like that.

G

·
0 Posts
stranger said:
in order to have my waist and inseem, i need to be between 5'8 and 5'10 and drop 5-10 pounds. so someone grab my hands and someone else grab the feet and puuuullllllllllllllllll...
But if we pull your feet your inseam will get even bigger. You want someone to grab your waist.

·
Registered
110 Posts
just as others have suggested, you really have to go try on suits to guarentee a good fit.

I am pretty tall 6'4", 36" inseam, 34 waist, but broad shoulders (don't remember the number.. 54 maybe?). According to their websites, nothing would fit me. But I went and tried a few on, and the second one I tried fit like a glove.

Of course, the trick is finding a place that stocks the suits you want.

p.s. don't pay much attention to inseam, remember they tuck inside you boots so if you normally wear a 36, you can get away with a 32 etc.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
[thread jack in progress]:

Prez, what is this 'helmet band' to which you refer?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts