Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a leather jacket from a pawn shop (total STEAL: quality leather, perfect fit for $30!), but it smells of gasoline and, well, pawn shop odor. it's not horrible, but id rather not deal with it, so i was wondering what to do. can you dry clean leather? how much would that cost? how about just hanging it outside?

thanks in advance :)

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I would go to a tack shop and purchase some saddle soap.

Get a good lather up by mixing with water and scubbing the heck out of it.
You don't want to saturate the leather with water but you do want the surface
to be wet enough to create lather about an 1/8th of an inch thick.

Wipe it down and let dry slowly, don't expose to sun to dry.

This can't hurt, if it does not work, then try professionals.

·
Registered
238 Posts
careful with the saddle soap, I've had it bleach my western boots :eek:

Leather can be cleaned at most dry cleaners. should be under $50. Maybe it just needs some Fabreeze on the liner?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
acedeluxe said:
careful with the saddle soap, I've had it bleach my western boots :eek:

Leather can be cleaned at most dry cleaners. should be under $50. Maybe it just needs some Fabreeze on the liner?
lol, yeah, spending $50 on drycleaning something i only spent $30 on just seemed goofy. i have some oil-based perfume sprays i might try on it. id heard that saddle soap can bleach/discolor leather, but if its cheaper i may go that route. or i might just wear it for a month or so and hopefully the air flow will help a bit.

thanks for the ideas, guys :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
dont dry clean it, it will ruin it!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Are you planning to use this as MC gear protection or as something to wear around town?

Before you use it as MC gear make sure that it actually IS MC gear. Heaven forbid if something happens on the bike and you're depending on this as protection it won't stand up and shred.

Okay, now that my gear-nazi has been satisfied...

I like the saddle soap option and scrubbing the daylights out of it.

Then place it in the shower for a while.

If it doesn't work... do it again.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Mink oil or neat's foot oil. Treat it with either oil and let it hang outside for a while until the oil soaks completely in.

And do make sure it's a riding jacket. The leather in many style garments is not up to sliding around.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
andyauger said:
Mink oil or neat's foot oil. Treat it with either oil and let it hang outside for a while until the oil soaks completely in.

And do make sure it's a riding jacket. The leather in many style garments is not up to sliding around.
yep, yep, it's official riding gear, has the pads and everything.

ill check out the mink oil and febreeze, hopefully thatll do the trick.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
azrider said:
dont dry clean it, it will ruin it!
how so? (not that i dont believe you, as ive never done dry cleaning before.)

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Lexol leather cleaner... you can get it from Pep Boys, etc...
It's glycerin based and I've used it often to restore BMW leather interiors as well as boots and jackets. I then follow up with Lexol leather conditioner.

For the smell I would probably put it in a box and dump baking soda all over it and let it sit for a few days.... then do the cleaner/conditioner.

Saddlesoap and mink oil both work but are kinda like washing your car with candle-wax... Spray liquids are *much* easier to work with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts