Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys lean in to turns with passengers?

With me and my g/f on the back total weight is about 250. I have about 2k under my belt and maybe 200 with her on the back. I'm pretty cautious and go slower then normally around turns with her on it, for obvious reasons.

Just wondering if this is a gradual skill ill pick up the more we ride, or if it's the better way to ride.

thanks

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
anything over a very mild lean with a passenger is too fast.
You never know what kind of jerky motion they're gonna make... besides putting the GF in any kinda danger is just setting yourself up for a lifetime of bitchin

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
one of my riding buddies has been riding with his girlfriend for more than 12 years. they've become a well oiled machine and know what each will do. she knows when he's gonna downshift based on looking ahead.

they can ride the best roads 2-up.

just practice a lot, safely. and before you know it, you'll be riding as one

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
Countersteering is very important w/ a passenger.
No hanging off the bike.
The passenger has to keep very still. That may take some time for her to get used to, so start slow. Let her get some miles on back before going fast.

A few guys here have been riding w/ me & my wife on back. You can still keep a good pace. Just avoid hard starts & stops.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I have been on the track 2up with riders draggin knees. You can do as much with an experienced passenger as you can alone. But only do what you are comfortable doing, build up gradually.

·
Registered
722 Posts
My wife is the best passenger ever. We weigh about the same as you all (total weight) and the bike is good for the same level of riding I can do alone. She literally disappears; she doesn't even touch me. However, if it isn't my wife, I ride very, very cautiously because passengers truly screw up cornering in some scary ways. I took a friend out, gave him the typical pre-ride briefing: first corner was great so I think he's comfy...about the same slow speed through the next corner he leaned the opposite way, and it was all I could do to make it through the corner without going off the road (he weighs more than me, so that hurts too). In short, it depends on the passenger. An tiny "expert" makes almost no difference.

That being said, 2000 miles of riding under your belt is probably not enough to be riding semi-aggressively to begin with, passenger or no.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I have on the street too - but I made the track comment to show that it was at a decent pace.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
DrummerDaveB said:
AlexJ said:
I have on the street too - but I made the track comment to show that it was at a decent pace.

Shut it!
good luck trying to get me to do that! :wink:
Seriously though I did say that he should ride at a pace he is comfortable with. I have ridden passenger for 10 years, so I am at a different experience level.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
I tell my passengers to stay with the bike. Do not lean into corners, just do what the bike does. To help out, I don't try and take ANY corner as I would with only myself on the bike, which translates into not leaning any more than I have to. Doing more that this is just asking for trouble as far as I'm concerned. They don't give awards out to see how much road rash you can give your passenger.

·
Registered
110 Posts
totally depends on the passenger, its a skill in itself.

a good trick someone once told me was to always have them look over shoulder in the direction your turning. It gets them to lean a little (but not too much), and prevents them from leaning the wrong way.

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol.

Thanks for responses.

I don't ride aggresively at all with her on the back...lol, the lifetime of bitching is more then enough to pursuade me otherwise.

With us having a child we don't get to ride as much together. I should really try to get us out at least 2 weekends a month, thought.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a whole pre-ride speach I give anyone who's riding with me.

1. Never climb on the bike till I'm ready and I signal you to do so.
2. When the ride is done don't get off the bike till I signal you to do so.
3. Always get on from the left hand side.
4. Always get off on the left hand side
5. When we come to a stop, keep your feet on the pegs.
6. When we are moving keep you feet on the pegs
7. When I take a corner, keep your body in line with the bike, do not lean either way.
8. If you are going to hold onto me, hold on around my waist. Do not hold onto my shoulders! If you pull back on my shoulders all sorts of bad things can happen with my hands, arms and controls for the cycle.

Walker

·
Registered
193 Posts
DrummerDaveB said:
Countersteering is very important w/ a passenger.
No hanging off the bike.
The passenger has to keep very still. That may take some time for her to get used to, so start slow. Let her get some miles on back before going fast.

A few guys here have been riding w/ me & my wife on back. You can still keep a good pace. Just avoid hard starts & stops.
Yea, I have never seen anyone ride two-up that hard (fast). If you want to train your girl, put her on the back of Dave's bike (with permission from his wife of course :wink: ) and ask him to take her around the Cherrahola Skyway a few times.

Whew, that was a rush for me and I was only following behind. I can't imagine what your wife felt like.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Scotch has the best advice

That's the same thing I was taught and how I instruct passengers. When I go left, they should look over my left shoulder. That keeps them in the proper position. You can lean your upper body down and they follow automatically. With a novice passenger you really have to approach corners gently until they have confidence in you, the bike, and themselves.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I have to recommend that you have your pillons take MSF

my ex was always a good pillon, after she took MSF, it gave her a much better understanding, not only did she learn to ride , she became a better pillon,

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
oh ya, you can lean as much with a pillon as without, I rememve the first time I scraped pegs with my ex, she was dissapointed cause her pegs weren't scraping :shock:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
#8 is the most important. I almost yelled to this chick "Keep your fuckinjg hands off my shoulders."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts