Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the plunge a few weeks ago and invested in a holeshot highmount pipe for my 05 nekkid. I love it to death, but unforunately I just noticed that it's leaking at a one of the joints! At the joint where the can meets the mid-pipe, there is a leak. I noticed it because it has discolored the midpipe a little, so I started it up and put my hand next to the discoloration and sure enough, I feel warm exhause blowing on my hand. Is there any kind of sealent that I can use to close these joints up completely? Where can I get some of it? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Try any auto parts store.  I know NAPA has some sort of muffler sealer stuff for sure. From your description, it sounds like it's leaking at a joint that came already assembled, it that correct?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Permatex copper gasket sealant 700F high temp goop. Apply liberaly to the insdes of the joints, let dry over night 12+ hrs,. Ride on.

Well thats what I did 3 years ago no leaky any where. And yes I have a holeshot high mount.

·
Registered
73 Posts
yeah like mentioned... call or email Dale... and tell him about it, he will have the answer, prolly either get you info for fixing, or replacing

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
zip650 said:
Permatex copper gasket sealant 700F high temp goop.   Apply liberaly to the insdes of the joints, let dry over night 12+ hrs,. Ride on.

Well thats what I did 3 years ago no leaky any where. And yes I have a holeshot high mount.
Use that stuff. I believe in the instructions it even says to use high temp copper gasket sealant. I didn't use it at first cause I was lazy but I eventually uninstalled the pipe and used the sealant, good to go.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ya, use the copper RTV. I let it cure for 24 hrs. No leaks on my Holeshot. :)

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
same thing on my scorpion high-mount. gonna try using the suggested sealant

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just picked up the suggested sealant, thanks for the advice guys! I guess I should have stuck the instructions more clearly, but I didn't think it would be such a problem! Now the only problem is that I have to go a day without riding! The SV is my main transport so I havn't done that for a loooong time ;D Thanks again!

·
Registered
81 Posts
The sealant shouldn't take a day to dry. I think I had to wait 20 minutes for mine to set.
So if you're quick with the install, you may not have to miss a day's riding

·
Registered
22 Posts
The sealant does dry quickly.  Try not to put more on than needed as you will just have more to clean up.  Once the stuff dries its hard to remove.  Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts