Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '99 SV650 that I race. It's never been on the ground (knock on wood!). There is a drain around the gas cap that goes through a tube inside the tank and drains at the back of the tank. It is supposed to drain any fluids (gas or water) so that they don't go into the tank. The tube that goes through the tank must be cracked or broken (inside) as it leaks gasoline all the time and more when the tank is more full. So the break\crack must be higher in the tank. I can blow air through the drain hose and hear bubbles in the tank, so I'm pretty sure it's broken somewhere. Anyone else seen this problem? Any repairs short of cutting the tank open? Lastly, if all else fails, anyone have a '99 tank? Prefer red and in good condition, but will consider all.

TIA!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the overflow tube break off from the tank:
http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=40798.0

If it's broken half way down, you will get gas pouring out of your bike when you fill up.  One might be able to fix it by blocking off both ends of the tube with JB Weld or tank sealer and do without an overflow tube. you would just have to be careful to wipe up any moisture and overflow from under the gas cap.

If it broke where it comes through the top of the tank near the gas cap (not uncommon) it only leaks when you do something to slosh the fuel in the tank or if the tube bends down to the level of the gas, this is a relatively easy fix. Make the hole a little bigger with a rat tail file and push the tube up from the inside through the hole and JB Weld in place.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
find a piece of plastice tubing that you can slide all the way through the drain.  After the plastic hose/tube is in place, kreme or POR-15 coat the inside of the tank.  I'd suspect this would be a 100% fix though I've never tried it.

If you wanted to get ghetto with it you might try draining the tank and letting it dry then gooping up a piece of firm fitting hose with some gas/oil resistant gasket goo and then working the hose into the tobe and letting it cure overnight.

Blocking off both ends of the tube and filling it with JB weld would probably work too.

I bet you could also cut the welds off that hold the tube in (top and bottom welds would need to be cut), then remove the tube and replace it with a piece of steel brake line tubing. If the tube needs any bends you can get a bender from Pep Boys for cheap (they'd have the brake line tubing too).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts