Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am going nuts trying to figure out why and need further assistance!
02 Gen1, tank is 3/4 full. I just got it and am trying to undo all the PO "mods" more like hack job.
When sitting outside and on the kickstand fuel leaks out down the frame and on the ground on the LH side, if I open the tank there seems to be quite a bit of pressure in the tank. I would expect that somewhat with a FI bike but this is a carbed model.
Anyone else have this issue or suggestions on repair? Right now it is in the garage on a track stand while I have been doing the shock mod and new dogbones, and it is not "leaking" but there is an overwhelming smell of fuel in the garage and I have not started it or opened the tank.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
You should take the tank off and inspect where that fuel is coming from. I would suspect it's the gasket leaking where the fuel 'petcock' mounts to the tank.

Don't understand why there's pressure in the tank though, faulty gas cap?

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe, it has been painted and I will be tearing deeper into it tonight.

On another note, I need a new front tire and it has a new Shinko rear, not really what I want, but asking for advice change both or just the front and wear the other out? I was looking at going with the Dunlop Sportmax Q2's and maybe doing a 170 on the rear stock wheel.
Thoughts.....

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pulled the tank and gave it a "closer" inspection, seems to be coming from the petcock valve, can't tell if it's between the tank and valve or the bladder on the valve itself. I called the parts house and they don't offer a rebuild kit, but they will sell you a new one for $115 !
Looked on fleabay and found a rebuild kit for $30 so hopefully it takes care of it.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Which Shinko rear tire does it have now? Some of them are actually a pretty good tire and you'd be crazy to scrap a new one. And please DON'T ask about putting a bigger tire on the stock rear wheel or you'll get burned at the stake.:) Seriously, the stock 160 width is right for the wheel and little is to be gained by going bigger unless you put a wider wheel for it. It is about the profile of the tire which can be compromised being pinched on a too small rim.

·
Registered
53 Posts
sounds like your tank vent isn't venting so fuel is getting pushed out the petcock. Take off the gas cap, you should see a small hole next to the main hole going into the tank...blow this out with some compressed air to make sure it's not clogged. Mine was completely rusted through, causing my bike to leak gas out of the vent if the tank was more than 1/2 full.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts