Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
QUE SO GUYS>>>>

I just bought a 2006 SV650 this last saturday. I plan on taking a pretty large road trip this summer. I rode and still have a 2001 GS500. It was my trusty steed, i did all the work on it and am quite familiar with it. I want desperately to take the SV, but like I said, I know I can depend on the GS(which is a lot slower). The mother****er is a go**** indestructable work horse. My question is:

Which bike should I take?

so far from what i have concluded, the SV is not exactly the easiest bike to work on. But i plan to get as familiar with it as possible before departure. PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR ALMIGHTY WISDOM PEOPLE!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is your SV a "S" or naked? I know the '01 GS has a fairing. If it was me I would want the protection of a fairing for a long trip. I haven't owned my SV for very long, but the wind sure does beat me up on the highway.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i have the S type. The wind doesnt bother me too much, and im a pretty big dude so the fairing doesnt help much unless the chin is on the can, but i appreaciate the tips :)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I'd say take the SV, but only after you get a different seat - the stocker is a killer! If you have the money, a Corbin or Sargent is a great choice. If you don't feel like spending $300 on a seat, have Spencer at GreatDaytoRide.com modify yours for $100 (total, including shipping both ways).

I chose the latter and am very happy with Spencer's work. It didn't feel that different at first, but after a few hundred miles in the saddle it formed nicely to my...uhh...backside.

The SV really is pretty easy to work on. Maybe not quite as easy as your GS, but still easy nonetheless. Download a factory service manual, buy a torque wrench and blue Loctite and go to town!

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Between now and the trip, take the SV out for rides. Do the work you feel necessary, and get accustomed to it. Let it prove itself to you as a reliable ride, then make your decision as to which bike to take.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
^^ Sound advice.

I'd say take the SV, but only after you get a different seat - the stocker is a killer! If you have the money, a Corbin or Sargent is a great choice.
I'm gonna 2nd this. Get a seat. I love my Sargent. Seems like it took about 100 miles or so to get "broken in", but after that, it's far superior to the stocker.

I've done a few 800+ mile round trips on my 06 SV (naked) with full luggage, and I'm also a big dude (6"4') so I'm a sail. It wasn't that bad. You just kinda lean into the wind. You may have to be a little more aware of dirty air from bike trucks and the like though. Other than that, cruising at 65-70mph is no problem.

Other than that, just check the usual stuff, make sure the tires are up to the task (Diablo Stradas are NICE), lube the chain every 500 miles or so, keep an eye on tire pressures, change the oil before you depart, make sure the battery is good, and go over everything to make sure it's tourqued and/or locktited and lubed correctly and you'll be golden.

Oh, and if you don't have rain gear, get some. You'll be thankful you did.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Iv'e done a 2,000mi round trip to Deal's gap. Tenn. on my 01 SvS.....it's a GREAT sporttourer..........& it's never broken down on me either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts