Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was enjoying a couple of beers with a friend on 8th and Fitzwater when I saw (heard first, then saw) a silver SVS lead by another bike which I could not distinguish A. b/c i didnt have my glasses on (i can always distinguish an SV) and B. b/c the rider of that other bike was too busy focusing on revving his engine (he had an obscenely loud exhaust) that he forgot to put a helmet on (and i dont think he had eye protection either but again i was half blind at the time so i cant be sure of that).

I don't know how anyone can ride without a helmet on. I personally feel naked. Without a helmet on I would be way too tentative. Not to mention that given the disgusting number of dead bugs on my face shield in the spring and summer, I am all too happy not to have the pleasure of eating them or having them stuck in my eye.

Can someone enlighten me why people would not wear a helmet? And btw, last night was a cool 45-50 degrees -- it was NOT too hot to wear one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1. Some people are just too cool for safety.
The one that always makes me wonder are the guys all decked out in leather gear but without a helmet.
well, there's also the other south philly attire -- shorts, flip flops, t-shirt BUT helmet is on. um... what??

·
Registered
145 Posts
I was enjoying a couple of beers with a friend on 8th and Fitzwater when I saw (heard first, then saw) a silver SVS lead by another bike which I could not distinguish A. b/c i didnt have my glasses on (i can always distinguish an SV) and B. b/c the rider of that other bike was too busy focusing on revving his engine (he had an obscenely loud exhaust) that he forgot to put a helmet on (and i dont think he had eye protection either but again i was half blind at the time so i cant be sure of that).

I don't know how anyone can ride without a helmet on. I personally feel naked. Without a helmet on I would be way too tentative. Not to mention that given the disgusting number of dead bugs on my face shield in the spring and summer, I am all too happy not to have the pleasure of eating them or having them stuck in my eye.

Can someone enlighten me why people would not wear a helmet? And btw, last night was a cool 45-50 degrees -- it was NOT too hot to wear one.

I like to go sometimes to the Morning Glory Diner around that area. Now, on the topic, I guess I have been lucky that the people that taught me how to ride were very safety minded. On the first 30mile+ trip that I took on my SV; I had a chance to see a motorcycle accident where a Harley rider collided with an SUV. The rider was lacking any kind of protective gear and was uncouncious (sp?) on the floor. It was about 90 degrees and I had my full face helmet and jacket and it was a little bit hot if I got stuck in traffic, but at least I had some protective gear in case of an accident like that. The accident happened about 10 seconds before i was in that spot and made me refocus my thinking about safe riding and safety gear.

·
Registered
720 Posts
because some people are stupid, and in this country we have decided that the freedom to be stupid is a natural right that every person can enjoy.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
i thought you were gonna tell us somebody got shot.

·
Chief Greeter
28,537 Posts
Can someone enlighten me why people would not wear a helmet?
Hi Leeks, There isn't a helmet law in PA?

A helmet will save your life. But if its optional, some will ride without because of their freedom of choice.

Natasha Richardson would probably have survived if she wore a helmet but it's not illegal to not wear one when skiing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Leeks, There isn't a helmet law in PA?

A helmet will save your life. But if its optional, some will ride without because of their freedom of choice.
because some people are stupid, and in this country we have decided that the freedom to be stupid is a natural right that every person can enjoy.
No, there is no helmet law in PA. And here is the thing -- I am a firm believer of freedom as long as it's TRUE freedom -- aka the one that comes with personal responsibility and accountability tied to it. When it comes specifically to helmet laws, I don't mind if they don't exist AS LONG AS NO PUBLIC FUNDS ARE TIED TO THE CONSEQUENCES OF ONE RIDING WITHOUT A HELMET. If no public funds are expended to cover someone else's stupidity, then by all means, people can do whatever they want b/c it truly does not affect me. Of course, the issue is not as black and white when, say, OVERALL insurance premiums go up due to some people's stupidity even if not DIRECTLY tied to them so yes, there is a massive gray area and a huge policy issue.

But alas, I digress.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I'll admit. When I was first learning, I brought my old Nighthawk up into the back yard from the driveway. My back yard is a constant slope from top to bottom, but not very steep. It's steep enough that I can't walk the bike backwards up it, but I'll go 5 mph if I coast down the hill. I was practicing starting out on a hill, holding the brake in while letting out the clutch to keep from going backwards. It's all grass, and I was moving a foot back and forth, so no helmet.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've got a buddy who has a Yamaha V-Star Classic and we ride together occasionally. He wears a brain bucket (literally - it's not DOT) and that's it (and only because Nebraska has a mandatory helmet law). We were out the other day and a guy on a cruiser passed in full leathers. He commented on how he 'doesn't get the full leathers' and says he thinks they look stupid. I told him that the guy was wearing them to provide protection, not to look 'cool'. I then told him that I hoped to God he never went down because he wouldn't fair too well. He then came back with the AWESOME rebuttal of 'if I go down I hope it's with a reason'. I just shook my head. He's another rider that it's going to take something bad for him to realize that your health should be more important than your stubborn pride.

·
Registered
281 Posts
People that don't wear the proper gear live in the shallow end of the gene pool and eventually will be weeded out. I honestly don't understand how people want to take a chance. Myself, I'm not a big fan of road rash, or brain spillage. I want to at least wear what I can and give myself a fighting chance in the event things go bad. Even on my dirt bike I wear elbow & knee/shin guards, roost protector, neck brace and helmet (cuz I wreck alot).

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
well, there's also the other south philly attire -- shorts, flip flops, t-shirt BUT helmet is on. um... what??
They might not die if they go down.... but they'll wish they had.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
They might not die if they go down.... but they'll wish they had.
Depends on the brain damage...might not have the chance to regret it as a vegetable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts