Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,
I've looked around the internet, but haven't found a definitive answer.

My SV has a 43T rear sprocket that was put on by the previous owner. He was doing the F3 rear wheel conversion and wrongly assumed that the stock F3 rear sprocket size was correct for the SV. The chain/sprocket are only about 2 years/5000 miles old and in great shape, so I'm not wanting to replace everything. I would however like to get the gearing correct. Currently, the chain length is such that I am near the back of the adjustment range (2nd from last tick mark) when adjusted properly. That gives me about an inch of forward adjustment that I can use.

I'm almost sure I could fit a 44T in there and still have adjustment range, but I'm not sure if a 45T would fit.

Anybody have any experience doing a change like that?

·
Registered
856 Posts
sounds like it still has the stock chain on it , with only 5k you'd think so, the guy only changed the wheel,and slid the wheel back. I got a 46 with my new chain/ring set and it seems like i got the same no of links the new wheel position is up just a bit from where it was stock,at 47 tooth they might give you an extra link,1 link = 2 teeth. You could probabely go to 46 tooth also, highly reccomended ,definitely zippier around town,may not be too revvy at highway, i'll just go a bit slower.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like it still has the stock chain on it , with only 5k you'd think so, the guy only changed the wheel,and slid the wheel back. I got a 46 with my new chain/ring set and it seems like i got the same no of links the new wheel position is up just a bit from where it was stock,at 47 tooth they might give you an extra link,1 link = 2 teeth. You could probabely go to 46 tooth also, highly reccomended ,definitely zippier around town,may not be too revvy at highway, i'll just go a bit slower.
No, its not a stock chain. The bike has 30K plus miles and the chain and front/rear sprockets were changed out about 2 years ago (5k) when the previous owner did the F3 wheel mod. He just didn't bother to check and see what size sprocket the SV was supposed to have. He went with the same size that was on the F3 wheel he bought, which was a 43 tooth.

I am mainly trying to figure out how much slack I need to go +2 on the rear sprocket.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
No, its not a stock chain. The bike has 30K plus miles and the chain and front/rear sprockets were changed out about 2 years ago (5k) when the previous owner did the F3 wheel mod. He just didn't bother to check and see what size sprocket the SV was supposed to have. He went with the same size that was on the F3 wheel he bought, which was a 43 tooth.

I am mainly trying to figure out how much slack I need to go +2 on the rear sprocket.
If you're that far back now the 45 will be no problem.

·
Registered
799 Posts
you can easily see before buying sprocket. for each teeth you add or take away bolt adjuster for axle needs to be turned 3.5 turns. if thread pitch on adjuster bolt is 1.25 that means you need to move axle 8.75mm forward to go from 43 to 45.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Make sure chain and sprocket are same size (525, 520, etc)

·
Registered
856 Posts
i the think V has it right figuring the mm's on the thread pitch,with the wheel that far back it might not be the stock chain ,but it's probabely the stock length,which means you can go back to a 45 tooth sprocket probabely a 46 , ? on 47.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts