Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to go a few more miles between fillups i was wondering if there is somwhere that i could pick up a larger gas tank for an 00 SV650?? has anyone tried a mod??

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
there is one company that makes a larger, and lighter (carbon fiber i think??) gas tank for the sv. i think its got about 1 extra gallon capacity. the only down side is that its a rediculous price. i cant think of the website right now. . . im sure someone else knows what i am talking about.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
yea... there's one out there for endurance racing, TWF has posted pics of his tank cut and a 1" or 2" band welded in for more capacity.

I don't think you're going to find it to be cheap or easy.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
maybe it would be possible to make a pony bottle contraption like for scuba diving.

maybe create a smaller tank in place or the rear seat/cowl that you could fill and have a reserve switch to use it once the main tank ran dry.

of course that would only work if you always rode solo.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you just are wanting more miles between fillups, why not change the gearing to be more economical?

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
What sort of range are you getting? My light comes on at 172 almost without fail. Seems pretty decent to me!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Crossing nebraska at night on I80 you can go over 100 miles without finding a gas station open at night, and none of them are pay at the pump.
You have to know way ahead of time to stop at the last truck stop before you enter the real middle of nowhere...
As the light goes solid and you prey to reach the next open gas station...somehow managing to get 30 miles more than usual on a tank :lol:

Though its always tough to plan for a distance that big between gas stops the first time you make the trip. If you had extra fuel capacity you would have that figured in and still assume there should be another station within 60 miles...

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Manuelcasi said:
I would like a larger tank any ideas?
Pay a welder a gazillion dollars to cut your tank in two, add some and weld it all back together again.

I heard that if you chisel a slit in the filler neck that you can get an extra 1/2 gallon. If you do this you will run risk of spilling gas wih the tank full and hitting bumps though...

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'd love to do a tank swap for an extra gallon or two. I'm not sure I could afford to have a welder rework mine though, and OCC is too busy with choppers to help me out. :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have a 6.5 gallon fuel tank like the one Zoran has (I believe made by the same fellow- Seminoff). It is a TL top welded on to a SV bottom. It is baffled, and you would never really notice the difference.

Mine is fitted with a dry brake valve, but that could be replaced by a stock replacment fuel cap like the Vortex.

I was thinking of selling it since we have a dual dry brake tank now.

For it's racing capability, the single dry brake tank I have fills 5 gallons in less than 3 seconds :eek:

·
Registered
407 Posts
vfracer-r said:
I have a 6.5 gallon fuel tank like the one Zoran has (I believe made by the same fellow- Seminoff). It is a TL top welded on to a SV bottom. It is baffled, and you would never really notice the difference.

Mine is fitted with a dry brake valve, but that could be replaced by a stock replacment fuel cap like the Vortex.

I was thinking of selling it since we have a dual dry brake tank now.

For it's racing capability, the single dry brake tank I have fills 5 gallons in less than 3 seconds :eek:
I have no idea what half of that means. But I'd love 6.5 gallons.

How much? And can I simply bolt on, or do I need extensive fuel system modifications to make this work.

I'm mechanically inclined, I just honestly don't understand what dry brake tank and baffles are. Vortex fuel cap I understand. :)

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
"dry brake" is a fast way to fill the tank. It's handy when you're doing endurance races.

Baffles are plates with holes in the tank that keep the fuel from splashing around too much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
KICK ASS POST GUYS !!!

I also would love another 30 to 60 miles range as my drive in AZ would be much easier but it seem like the easy thing for me to put some of those MSR Fuel Bottles in my saddle bags

any of you know how safe those would be if I was to keep two of them full in the bags in hot AZ weather

or Am I just suicidal ? or a good cheap option ?

thanks

T

1 - 20 of 34 Posts