Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read tuns of forms on carrying laptops and other random gear.. It seems to be a toss up between tail bags and backpacks

im thinking of riding my bike to work I will need to bring the laptop/lunch maybe a shirt or two. I have been debating a cortech tail bag and an icon squad 2 backpack or ogio no drag

Ideally it would be nice to have something to throw your gear in when you park the bike which leans me towards backpack.. but open to idea/options..

Any recommendations from fellow SV riders?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I think a lot of the motorcycle specific bags are overpriced. Most quality backpacks are just as good.

I use a Jansport Laptop Backpack. It's large, designed to hold your laptop, and plenty of room for clothing, lunch, shoes, etc.

It's also black with red piping, and looks good with most motorcycle gear.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
I have the icon urban bag, I like it for the fact that I can use it as a tank bag or back pack. It won't zip up all the way with my 17.2 inch wide screen laptop but anything smaller should fit. I also have a targus laptop back pack that was much cheaper that holds up to a 15 inch or so and it very comfortable to ride with, so I'll agree with SD 650S to look at regular laptop backpacks.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just my .02 but i rode with backpack for a couple of seasons and have now switched to a tail bag and I'm much happier more comfortable and less back fatigue and easier to move around on the bike when taking the curves.

·
Registered
66 Posts
do you really want to put ur work laptop through that kind of vibrations? Personally i'd use a backpack just for that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Half for laptop or running to the store or some other cloths if your going out ect.. I have also heard that a backpack could hurt you if you were to fall and have something hard to land on.. (laptop is flat so should be fine)
I actually have this one.. but it seems like it would be a bit big and bulky for a bike

It does have a waist strap though.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Personally, I'd go with a tail bag. I always think about what would happen if I go down on a ride. If I've got a backpack filled with a 7lb laptop, charging brick, lunch and maybe a knife/fork strapped to me, that's going with me and increases (in my unscientific opinion) my chances of being hurt worse.

If you don't want to buy a tail bag then bungee your backpack onto your backseat.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I feel qualified to give my opinion here!! lol

I commute with 2-4 changes of clothes and a toothbrush utility pouch kit all stuffed into a 11yr old Jansport backpack.

I strap it to the rear seat using cam straps which I run under the seat. When parked I loosen the cams, take backpack off, and the straps remain in the ready position.

I have done several thousand miles in this configuration. A dry bag would be a good alternate if you live in a moist area.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I commuted with a backpack for a while, but between the extra weight on my shoulders and the horrible sweat down my back, I switched to a cortech tail bag. I can fit the laptop, charger, network cable, and a change of shoes in the bag with room to spare. When it gets cold I can add a sweater and clear face shield.

Best gear I've ever bought. No regrets.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so the cortex tail bag is worth it? is it just like a mini suitcase or is there a carrying strap to carry around when you are not on the bike? It doesnt look to bad on the bike either which is nice

/

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I use both. I prefer the tailbag by far.

Backpacks are on your body, can cause fatigue from weight, can be cumbersome due to weight/size, and I'd rather not crash when wearing one with a laptop/other non-malleable items in it (water bottles, shoes, etc.). For carrying other things, such as food, sometimes it's bad if the food is liquid. The backpack flexes with your body a bit and can cause some containers to burst. They are more convenient when transporting items from bike to elsewhere, as they are already strapped to your body. They can be hot, depending on your gear/pack.

Tailbags, depending on design, can be awesome depending on purpose. Easy to attach and remove, come with built-in backpack straps or shoulder strap, or just leave it on the bike. Some expand if you need that extra space. You can carry heavy objects in them (especially if you weren't expecting it). Vibration isn't a big deal for a laptop unless you have an old crappy HDD and the heads aren't parked because you didn't shut it down/suspend it properly. You have complete freedom of movement that you may not have with a backpack. It's a lot easier for me to transport food as you can lay things flat.

You can also strap a backpack to your seat with bungees, if necessary.

Etc., etc.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have put about 25,000-30,000 commuting miles down now all with a backpack. I started out initially with a tank bag but found that the vibrations and sudden jolts of freeway expansion joints, etc were damaging my laptop (broke the CD Drive and other minor things).

That said I have been riding with all Oakley backpacks. Not sure the model I used to have but currently ride with the Kitchen Sink. HUGE bag but I tend to bring a lot of stuff with me. Most of what they make is Mil-spec, or at least portions of it are, like the zippers, etc (I have a friend who works for Oakley) since a lot of their business is to Dept of defense and they dont make two different products.

Once you get used to riding with a backpack you dont notice it anymore. I actually feel "naked" now when I ride without it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have read tuns of forms on carrying laptops and other random gear.. It seems to be a toss up between tail bags and backpacks

im thinking of riding my bike to work I will need to bring the laptop/lunch maybe a shirt or two. I have been debating a cortech tail bag and an icon squad 2 backpack or ogio no drag

Ideally it would be nice to have something to throw your gear in when you park the bike which leans me towards backpack.. but open to idea work backpack with charger..

Any recommendations from fellow SV riders?
Mancro and MATEIN have waterproof computer backpacks, and they usually cost under $ 50. When I was still in school, I really liked their backpacks. The first is because it is cheap, and the second is the excellent backpack quality. I used to hold my laptop, textbooks, binders, etc. for the nursing school. Most backpacks are relatively low. When I'm heavy, I push my shoulder forward. The MATEIN backpack is right on my spine, so I don't slip.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I use a Chrome messenger bag which has a large single strap which unclips into 2 halves with a seat belt buckle. I clip it around the grab bar and cinch it down using a couple rok straps. Kinda tight or it will slip out

1 - 16 of 16 Posts