Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Re: Laid my bike down tonight

all valves are closed when engine is dead???

valves are open or closed dependent on cam position whether engine is running or not, as cam spins when you turn engine over, valves open an close, if engine is turning over, it it sucking air thru it wether it's firing or not, engine braking is effect of sucking vaccum against closed throttle plate

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Here are the Pics of my bike.

Heres whats left of the Blinker, the Rashed Plastic by the Headlight.
Oh well I always wanted to put flush mount blinkers on.

Broken Clutch Lever and Rashed Bar End.

Rashed Lower Fairings

Rashed Bolt

Broken Shifter

Rashed Micron Can

Small Scratched on Tail Section

My wifes 600 Bandit ..... Guess I'll be riding more of it for a while.

Woody

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Ya know whats funny, I went down at similiar speeds, and my lowers were destroyed more and I had suzuki's frame sliders. It looks like you are better off without sliders (at least with that stupid curved bracket thing).

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Humm that damage isn't all that bad. $60 or less and your back on the road easy

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Re: Laid my bike down tonight

RandyO said:
all valves are closed when engine is dead???
NO... all valves are closed during the compression & power strokes.

RandyO said:
valves are open or closed dependent on cam position whether engine is running or not, as cam spins when you turn engine over, valves open an close, if engine is turning over, it it sucking air thru it wether it's firing or not,
Duh...

RandyO said:
engine braking is effect of sucking vaccum against closed throttle plate
Wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
MagpieTear said:
Sorry to hear about and see the damage Woody :(

I can't help you with the plastics, but PM me your snailmail addy and I'll get some blinkers to you. Let me know if you need just one, or two.

Shaun
Do you have stock signals?

I only need one, for now.....

Soon I will be mounting a pair of these on the front.......
http://www.watsendesign.com/products/current/SV1000/index.html
But that is still a little way off, maybe feb-march

Woody

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Poe - perhaps instead of being a jerk you could show RandyO the "error" of his ways as you seem to understand it. You could start with explaining how you think engine braking works (hint: compression). Also, it looks to me like you might have been saying that the valves were closed just because the engine was dead.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Woody106 said:
Do you have stock signals?

I only need one, for now.....

Soon I will be mounting a pair of these on the front.......
http://www.watsendesign.com/products/current/SV1000/index.html
But that is still a little way off, maybe feb-march

Woody
That is the link I was looking for! I saw those the other day and forgot to save the link. Those are pretty cool looking and seem to have more than just a few leds like some I have seen do. I want flush but I want the old and blind to be able to see them also. Guy in traffice the other day almost pulled out in front and either he saw the big amber stockers blinking or my Yellow/white Suzuki Jacket I had on :D b/c it sure wasn't the sound from the stock exhaust reving at him LOL

Glad you are ok, sucks about the bike though!

·
Registered
629 Posts
shekshishekki said:
motosliders coulda saved you much of the dmg ;-)
reading this reminds me I have to install my motosliders ASAP

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
ShaggyZ said:
Poe - perhaps instead of being a jerk you could show RandyO the "error" of his ways as you seem to understand it. You could start with explaining how you think engine braking works (hint: compression). Also, it looks to me like you might have been saying that the valves were closed just because the engine was dead.
So *I* was the jerk in that exchange?!?!? OK, whatever. Sorry I wasn't more clear. I thought that's exactly what I said in my statement two posts ago:
Poe said:
The majority of engine braking is the resistance provided by the compression & power strokes - with little/no fuel charge in the cylinders to fire (all engine valves are closed at this point, and once the intake valves are closed, the throttle position is irrelevant).
I think it's obvious that I was talking about the valves being closed during the compression & power strokes - and and also that it is compression that provides the engine braking as well.

If anyone has any doubt that throttle position has nothing to with engine braking, try this: Get up to about 40 MPH or so in 3rd gear, close the throttle and then hit the kill switch. Then, as the bike is engine braking & slowing down, open and close the throttle several times. It won't make one bit of difference in the rate of deceleration caused by the engine braking. Be aware that when you flip the kill switch back to the "on" position, you might cause a big backfire on carbureted bikes because during the "test" you'll be sucking unburned fuel mixture into the exhaust system - and it might touch off when you restart. I assume the injectors will stop spraying fuel in F.I. bikes when you hit the kill switch, but I'm not sure. They might do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
shekshishekki said:
motosliders coulda saved you much of the dmg ;-)
I'm not too sure about that one, Motosliders, just like any other frame slider are designed to protect the frame, not the plastics. My frame and swingarm are fine. The most damage was to the plastics.

evilbologna said:
Ya know whats funny, I went down at similiar speeds, and my lowers were destroyed more and I had suzuki's frame sliders. It looks like you are better off without sliders (at least with that stupid curved bracket thing).
Note that evilbologna had stock sliders on and not motosliders, but the point is the same. The sliders might have saved the scratches higher up on the fairings, but would have probably rashed the lower fairings even worse, b/c they would have been at a much steeper angle when sliding down the road.

Now thats said i dont disagree that sliders help and definately save your bike from major damage. I do believe in sliders, just too damn lazy and busy to put them on yet. I will buy a pair soon though. Plus I already have a pair of swingarm sliders, never put them on either. Plus I have a pair for the wifes bike too........Guess I got some wrenching to do. :D

21 - 40 of 55 Posts