Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. Well I laid my bike down tonite.... I was pulling out of a friends parking lot and following them to a party. I had gotten up to about 30 MPH when all the sudden the FI light started blinking and the bike shut down. THe back wheel locked up and before I new it I was on the ground. I have no injuries, except for a bruised ego and some sore mucsles. As for the bike.... well it went down on its right side(as your sitting on it). So it has scratched fairings, a busted turn signal, broked shift lever, and the shifter is completely gone. thank god for it being in secomd gear so at least I could ride it home. Everyone be careful on these cold roads with those cold tires.

So I went to the party and drank my ass off so that i would not think about hurting my pride and joy.

Pics to come after tomorrow....First hangover then pics.

Woody
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Re: Laid my bike down tonight

Sounds like the alchohol had a bitt to do with the wreck. After two driinks, even if you are a seasoned rider/drinker... You are trash. You might not feel drunk, but two drinks have a crapload of affect on your riding.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Laid my bike down tonight

I was on my way to the party. I hadnt had a single drink.. Hell before tonight I havent had a drop in 2 weeks

Woody.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Laid my bike down tonight

I dont know I have been having problems with the FI when the tank gets low.....but i just filled it up today.
I need to take it to the shop, but dont really have the money for them to analyize the hell out of it at $50/ hr

Woody
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,399 Posts
Re: Laid my bike down tonight

rear tire shouldnt lock up when there is an fi problem/bike shuts down... mine has had fi errors from time to time and ive never had a rear wheel lockup... weird stuff. :-\
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Laid my bike down tonight

very wierd, just sucks to be me I guess.

I have had it happen before, but I was alwauys able to grab the clurch and drift to safety.....no such luck tonight.....but hey no major damage....to either me or the bike.....so thats a plus....


But I figure I will be sore for a little while.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,333 Posts
Re: Laid my bike down tonight

I hate to tell you this, laying down is something you do in a bed, You crashed, glad to hear your ok, though, plese don't take my comment personal,
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,904 Posts
Re: Laid my bike down tonight

Dayum Wood-Bro, that sucks. Glad you're OK though. Look at it this way, now it has "character".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,010 Posts
Re: Laid my bike down tonight

Dude, that sucks! Sorry to hear it. The F.I. light comes on when the engine stalls regardless of the cause, so it's not necessarily a problem with the F.I. Not that it really matters, but the shifter is on the LEFT side of the bike (as you sit on it), so I'm assuming you went down on that side - not the right. That is truly weird! It doesn't seem possible that a stalled engine could lock the rear wheel up at 30 MPH, but I suppose it could if the tire was cold and the road surface was less than ideal. Did you give the engine time to warm up at all, or did you just hop on & take off with it stone cold? Were you "lugging" the engine - riding in too high of a gear for your speed - so the engine was running real slow (like 2000 RPM or less)? I doubt you were lugging it - because it probably wouldn't have locked the wheel if you were in a higher gear. I don't know man... I think I'd take it to the shop and get it checked out before something worse happens. What if it stalls and leaves you hanging out in the middle of some nasty traffic somewhere? $50/hr labor rates will seem REAL cheap then. Good luck with it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Laid my bike down tonight

Thanks for all the Kind words everyone....I will try to answer some Questions.

RandyO said:
I hate to tell you this, laying down is something you do in a bed, You crashed, glad to hear your ok, though, plese don't take my comment personal,
Not taken that way.

GMslave said:
Dayum Wood-Bro, that sucks. Glad you're OK though. Look at it this way, now it has "character".
Thanks GM thats Really helpful... Of course it doesnt help my ego ::) but what the hell. Hey now it just gives me a reason to use all of those stickers I got at the Rally.

Poe said:
Not that it really matters, but the shifter is on the LEFT side of the bike (as you sit on it), so I'm assuming you went down on that side - not the right............ , but I suppose it could if the tire was cold and the road surface was less than ideal. Did you give the engine time to warm up at all, or did you just hop on & take off with it stone cold? Were you "lugging" the engine - riding in too high of a gear for your speed - so the engine was running real slow (like 2000 RPM or less)? I doubt you were lugging it - because it probably wouldn't have locked the wheel if you were in a higher gear. I don't know man... I think I'd take it to the shop and get it checked out before something worse happens. What if it stalls and leaves you hanging out in the middle of some nasty traffic somewhere? $50/hr labor rates will seem REAL cheap then. Good luck with it.
Youre right, the damage is on the left side....I had a few too many last night and wasnt thinking as I typed. The engine was stone cold, but I wanst in a high gear I was in second as I always am starting out. I am definitely gettin it checked by the shop.

Grim Reaper said:
Sucks, man. How bad are your cans?
The Cans seem to be ok except for a few scratches where it bolts on at. Yes my can actually bolts on, not slips on, and no its not stock. THe cans sorta angle in towards the bike and thats saved most of the damage.....I think. However I dont knwo if that angle is worse now or not.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,691 Posts
Re: Laid my bike down tonight

RandyO said:
I hate to tell you this, laying down is something you do in a bed,
or on a pool table. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,333 Posts
Re: Laid my bike down tonight

Poe said:
Dude, that sucks!  Sorry to hear it.  The F.I. light comes on when the engine stalls regardless of the cause, so it's not necessarily a problem with the F.I.  Not that it really matters, but the shifter is on the LEFT side of the bike (as you sit on it), so I'm assuming you went down on that side - not the right.  That is truly weird!  It doesn't seem possible that a stalled engine could lock the rear wheel up at 30 MPH, but I suppose it could if the tire was cold and the road surface was less than ideal.  Did you give the engine time to warm up at all, or did you just hop on & take off with it stone cold?  Were you "lugging" the engine - riding in too high of a gear for your speed - so the engine was running real slow (like 2000 RPM or less)?  I doubt you were lugging it - because it probably wouldn't have locked the wheel if you were in a higher gear.  I don't know man... I think I'd take it to the shop and get it checked out before something worse happens.  What if it stalls and leaves you hanging out in the middle of some nasty traffic somewhere?  $50/hr labor rates will seem REAL cheap then.  Good luck with it.
I think it depends on throttle position, if the throttle is closed, it's very likely the rear wheel will lock, as engine braking is really just vacuum against the throttle plate. crack the throttle open a bit regardless of the engine running or not, and you will relieve the vacuum
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Re: Laid my bike down tonight

Damn that sucks Woody. At least you did'nt go over a cliff and break your collarbone like me. So you still are doing the 2nd gear start thingy? Like you said, and like I did, use the rally stickers to cover the damage.  Put a bolt through the shifter, or get the gold bling one like Streaker had at the first rally. Sweet tit's said to get better and if ya need me to give ya back those pain pills, give me a holler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,244 Posts
Re: Laid my bike down tonight

Woody - Yeah, the fact that you've got those Microns is why I asked. Glad they're not too bad off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,737 Posts
Re: Laid my bike down tonight

That sux that it happened like that. its bad enough when you cause your self to go down, but its worse when your bike causes you to go down.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Laid my bike down tonight

Yeah I wouldnt be so hyped up about the whole thing if it had been my fault. Ya know if I was doing something stupid or squidly......

Oh well I guess Sh*t happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,010 Posts
Re: Laid my bike down tonight

RandyO said:
I think it depends on throttle position, if the throttle is closed, it's very likely the rear wheel will lock, as engine braking is really just vacuum against the throttle plate. crack the throttle open a bit regardless of the engine running or not, and you will relieve the vacuum
I disagree. Have you ever tried to push-start a dead bike? You can open & close the throttle while doing that - and it doesn't change the force provided by the engine braking at all. The majority of engine braking is the resistance provided by the compression & power strokes - with little/no fuel charge in the cylinders to fire (all engine valves are closed at this point, and once the intake valves are closed, the throttle position is irrelevant). The intake stroke with the throttle closed probably provides some restance as well, but even then, the throttle bodies are always open enough to allow idle, so it couldn't possibly be as strong as resistance provided by the compression & power strokes. Sounds like the lack of ANY fire in the cylinders (due to a lack of fuel or ignition) provided just enough extra engine braking to cause the cold tire to skid. The abrupt weight transfer forward (taking weight off the rear tire) due to the unexpected stall probably contributed as well.
 
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Top