Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Laid down my 99 sv650 today and now it won't start. Was going to make a turn at a light when someone pulled out in front of me and I wasn't ready for it. Anyways bike went down and shut off , stood it back up and tried to start it and nothing. Had it in neutral, kickstand up, clutch in, killswitch off and nothing happens. It's acting as if a killswitch is on. I push the starter and it doesn't even make a noise, like it's not even attempting to start. Checked the clutch switch and it's still in fine. I'm a newbie to bikes in general, only had this less than a week so any basic noob friendly advice would be great. Pushed it to a parking lot and don't know what to do :(

·
Registered
164 Posts
Does the electrical system work? Do you see the usual lights on the gauge panel?

I'm not sure the exact sequence for your SV, but my Gladius (a very close cousin) has a startup sequence of:

With the kickstand down, and the clutch out when you turn on the key, everything lights up, and when pressing the start button, the headlight turns off, and not much else.

Then, if you raise the kickstand, you should hear the fuel pump(?) start up and make a little noise for a second or two.

Pushing start (with the clutch still out) should show CHEC in the display.

Pulling in the clutch, and it starts normally.

Perhaps this can give you an idea of what interlock is keeping the system from starting.

UD

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
If you really think that the clutch switch is fine then maybe the 30A main fuse blew. Do you have the headlight and gauge lights come on? Is the ignition switch okay? What side did the bike fall onto? Check the battery cables. If you can remove the seat and right side cover, you can access the starter relay and with a screwdriver you can jump the relay with the ignition on and see if the bike cranks and starts. 1gen carbed bikes do not behave in the same way as 2nd gen or Gladius. No electric fuel pump, pressure regulator making noise or Chec on the gauges. Just the kill switch, clutch switch and sidestand switch and ignition switch.

Did the right had switch gear or wiring get hit? If you're new to bikes, then jumping the relay might not be doable for you. If you do have lights and electrical, I would try wiggling the clutch switch connector while hitting the start button. Did the clutch lever get damaged? Maybe the clutch switch is not being depressed.

·
Registered
199 Posts
not sure if this will help but try starting at the top of a hill in 2nd clutch in everything on, once you reach the bottom pop the clutch, if it tries to start that will help narrow down your search to the problem, if it tries but dosnt succeed then it could be your stator, or something to do with the fuel, if it dosnt even crank over you might have an electrical problem. how did you lay it down? how far did it slide, what/where is the obvious damage, that kind of info might help us figure it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All the normal lights and everything still come on. I checked all the fuses and they all look fine. The bike went down down on the left side going maybe 5 mph at most and stopped immediately, no slide. The only obvious damage was some small paint scratches and the screw holding in the cover thing next to the grip bent but that wouldn't of done anything.

It's gotta be something to do with the starter because when I push it the lights don't even dim at all and normally even with a killswitch on it would.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it was the clutch switch though wouldn't the lights at least dim when it hit the starter. And how would I do that?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
The lights would not dim. The clutch switch interrupts power to the starter motor as if you disconnected the wire to the motor. To bypass the switch, disconnect the switch at the clutch lever, take a paper clip or small piece of wire to form a loop and insert in the harness side of the connector to jump one terminal to the other. Or, you can jump the starter relay as I mentioned earlier. That would send power from the battery directly to the starter motor bypassing all of the switches. Just make sure the gear box is in neutral and have the igntion on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'll be ****ed...I bypassed the clutch switch and now it sounds like its trying but the starter relay is just making noise and now turning over...

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Isn't there a tip over sensor on the bike? Maybe it won't disengage for some reason.

Sorry I don't know more; try a search using "tip over sensor."

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
You could try unmounting the tip over sensor, shaking it, then mounting it back up and try again. Couldn't hurt to inspect the side stand switch too. You might not have noticed it make contact with the ground, but its another box to check.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I may be done messing with it now....after I tried to jump start it the lights won't come on now....one wrong thing after another

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Did you try the tipover sensor?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had my buddy come down and check it out. Said I need a new battery. He checked the starter relay and it was only getting 8 volts so we jumped it and it started. Got it back at my garage now...time to find someone who has one of the tiny ass batteries. Also the clutch switch is busted but I can bypass it, is it safe to just splice the wires and bypass it completely?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
There is no tip over sensor on a 1gen SV.
Ah! Was not sure. Good reason not to try it, then.

OP, is there a chance the battery can be charged up? Maybe take it to an auto parts place that can load test it for you, and see.

·
Registered
199 Posts
idk pep boys? whoever has the 3 bobble head dolls take it in there and they will do a free charge up/ test and if they cant they have the bats to replace. i had they tiny bat in my 1st gen when i bought it but upgraded to a bigger 12 lbs i think. you have to take out the black plastic thingy holding the fuses and just stuff them between the bat and the gas tank but it works ALOT better for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lol I wish I would of read that before I bought the one I just did. I was originally going to buy one of the taller ones a couPle days ago, one of the gel ones that came ready but it was too tall to fit with the plastic piece that held the fuses so I returned it. Got one of the add acid and charge it ones now waiting another 2 hours for it to charge.

But I did have the battery charged the day before I laid it down so I hope it's not like the alternator or something. When I took it in to have it checked they said it said it was severely discharged or something like that

1 - 20 of 22 Posts