Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the misfortune of wrecking my back this pat Labor Day. Someone Ran a stop sign and pulled into my lane of traffic. As bad as that is the guy never saw the car that was turning just ahead of me. When he realized his error he locked his brakes up. I had to do the same but quickly realized the bike was not going to stop in time to avoid a collision. The traffic was heavy and the oncoming lane was not an option. Neither was the steep ditch to my right. So I had to lay the bike down. My jacket and helmet saved me for sure. I just wish I had a pair of riding pants because my jeans were torn to shreds. My 2001 SV650 was damaged very little as the handlebar ends absorbed most of the beating. The tank was scuffed and left with 2 dents. My clutch and shifting levers were both broken along with some other minor parts. I have only been riding for a month prior to the accident. I did go though the 3 days safety course that indeed helped me. I just thought I would share my story. I am ordering parts and plan on getting right back on the road.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
You got up

You walked away

You learned something!

Take it with you and never forget!

Some people really believe that this time it will be different ... for them denial is a river in Egypt!

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, As a fireman I was really hesitant about getting on a bike. I have seen so many bad accidents. I went through he 3 days safety course to learn how to ride the right way. I just wish I would have bought a pair of frame sliders and some protective pants. Sad thing is people just do not see is.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I am glad you are ok. Once you start riding again practice your panic stops you will feel more confident plus you will learn how to stop quickly with out locking the tires up and "laying it down" (AKA lowsiding). The bike stops better on the rubber and it is cheaper too.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
ronlarimer said:
I am glad you are ok.  Once you start riding again practice your panic stops you will feel more confident plus you will learn how to stop quickly with out locking the tires up and "laying it down" (AKA lowsiding).  The bike stops better on the rubber and it is cheaper too.
+1. there are very few situations where laying a bike down is the best thing to do. better to keep braking to slow down as much as possible. a bike can stop ridulously fast, if done properly-- it'll take all your strength to hold your upper body back. that doesn't mean you can avoid every accident, but bleeding off the most speed you can is usually the best thing to do.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tell me about it. If anything I have even more respect for the bike. With the little skills I had stoping the bike in that short of a distance was tough. I just read the riding tips on this site and I have to say great job. I love this site!

·
Registered
419 Posts
If it's any consolation, my low-speed dump on my SV dinged my tank even with sliders installed. Bike took it primarily on the bar and the stock bar bent and that was enough to dent the tank. Did your bar hold up? It took me a few minutes to realize mine was bent.

Randy

·
Registered
92 Posts
be glad you are okay and your bike is repairable... i lowsided 3 weeks ago and found out yesterday that the insurance company is going to consider it a total loss.. with the fact that i still owe 2500 on the note and the bike is only worth about 4k i won't be getting much back for another bike...

people say "learn from your experiences" and stuff like that, but in your case there was nothing you could do..  if somebody wants to pull out they are going to pull out.  it's just luck of the draw.  hopefully, though, you won't have to go through the same experience again.  good luck with the repairs

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ohiorider, check out this book, Proficient Motorcycling:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1889540536/102-8123067-2200115?v=glance

For $16 or whatever it could literally save your life.  David L. Hough is an outstanding and well-respected writer on motorcycle safety.  He's got a sequal book called, you guessed it, More Proficient Motorcycling, which is also worth picking up.

I've read them both.  No, they're not as exciting as reading about high performance skills but if you're riding w/ in legal speeds and responsibly on the street how often do you need those skills?

The books very thoroughly cover, among other things, safe riding tactics and really get you thinking about how you currently ride.  You may be surprised to find out that there's a lot more you could do to decrease your odds of getting into a bad situation. This will only make your riding more enjoyable.  Don't just read it once either.  Keep going back to refresh your memory b/c I know pretty much everyone gets into a comfort zone or lets their mind wander f/m time to time.  Can't afford to do that on a bike.

Could be the best 16 bucks you spend on a motorcycle-related item.  :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Glad that you are OK, and that you are able to learn from your experiences.
+1 on the panic stop practice - I have been riding for 32 years and every spring I practice HARD panic stops until I get used to floating the read wheel on dry pavement. Initially you will be surprised at how HARD you can stop and stay in control, when you get used to it you will be glad for the added confidence.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ohiorider, do you cover the front brake when you ride.  If not, and you're traveling even at say 25 ft/sec and it takes you a half a second to grab the brake lever that's about 12 or 13 extra feet that it could take you to stop and could mean the diff between stopping in time and finding yourself on the other side of a car on your back. Yes, I've become a safety geek since reading that book... ::)

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys are great. I love this site. I will have to check out that book. As far as my handlebars go there are bent pretty bad and will need replaced. Anyone know a good set? I also need a source for parts. www.ricepaddymotorcycles.com did not have any parts for my bike. I bought my 2001 naked SV650 from a buddy at work who never rode it. It had less that 4K miles on it and I only paid 2K for it. Getting back to the accident I was only about 15 feet or so behind the van when it decided to lock em up. Anyone know something else I could have done? I covered the clutch, both brakes and was down shifting like I was taught in the basic MSF course.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm not sure I can picture how the accident happened but if you were following someone w/ only 15 ft of space, then that was your first mistake. Also, always stay outta the blind spots; on the freeway (not that you were on the freeway when the accident happened) generally want to stay out of the R lane b/c if a cage decides he wants to exit suddenly he may not see you there and then you're toast. There's lots of other stuff.

·
Registered
91 Posts
HI Ohiorider,

I think we all are glad you are ok!
In the past week I have slid 4 times :-[ The right lane blows big time. I find myself looking for danger so much I have to stop my self lol. I have to say tho Yellow is great. I have only been on my bike for a little over a month also, I am starting to relize going down is only a matter of time.
I dont understand the,, 15 feet part? how do you see ahead of a van if your 15 feet behind it?
anyway you probuly had your reasons.
I will be watting for my turn :-\
fixing is fun tho all the loking for the right part for cheep as possable.. installing it the small cut here the bruse there than the satisfaction when its done bit corny but hey ;D

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When the van pulled in front of me he cut my clearence down to around 15 feet. He ran a stop sign and pulled into my lane where I easily had 100 feet between myself and the next car. He then locked his brakes because he did not see that the car in front of him was turning. I just ot the police report back today. Very interesting to see that the police did a very good job with it. Because the guy fled the scene I will not be making a claim to my insurance and will take the path of fixing my prize myself.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
sorry about your wreck :'(, e-bay should have most everything you would need to fix your ride.  take care...jd

·
Registered
500 Posts
I love this site but sometimes hate to come on and read stuff like this b/c it reminds me I still have a spill coming since I am yet to go down. Plus I hate to hear about your wipe out guy. If you need a new set of bars look into the Suburban Machinery bars they are the best. You mentioned you are a firefighter and have seen some bad wrecks. Was that on like the interstate I assume? I would hate to run smack in the back of a cage but sometimes wonder if it did happen should I try to clear my groin from the tank before impact by standing up on the pegs to save the jewels. I wonder if that would work. I mean I can live with being brain dead and all as long as the stick still functions. LOL

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LMFAO, I was going less than 30 MPH and it happened right outside my neighborhood. My neighbor walked my bike back home for me ?6 blocks away.? I know I?m new so be gentle, what is a cage? I am guessing it?s a car. I need to learn up on all the bike lingo.

As an update on my bike I have decided to claim it on my insurance. I will still do most of the work myself. Are there any clubs here in Central Ohio?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts