Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bro in-law and I are going to look at a 1981 KZ1000 this weekend the guy is only asking $850 for it.

It will be my bro's first bike and for the price I think it will be good for him to learn on. He has never ridden before so I am sure he will dump it. He will be taking the MSF this spring but wants to give the bike a go in a empty parking lot before the class (his choice lol)

Has anyone ever owned this bike or know anything about it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Body is fair some surface rust on the chrome some cracked paint etc...

I have only talked to the guy I will be looking at it and test driving it this weekend. The owner has put new tires,some wiring,exhaust,stage 3 jet and wheel bearings all within the last 2 seasons.

I don't expect much for $850 but my bro has got to start some where and he will pick up another bike when he's ready.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Sort of big and heavy ... Still might be too fast as well for a new rider. But for the money he wont cry much when he drops it lol.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sort of big and heavy ... Still might be too fast as well for a new rider. But for the money he wont cry much when he drops it lol.
That's what I figure he's a big guy like 250ish so the weight should be ok but when he drops he we can just pick it up and keep going...

·
Registered
437 Posts
+1
Big slow bike w/fast paint job.

And Suave, the '77 Kaw 900 was a KZ, the first year was the only Z-1. And when Suzuki introduced it's GS750 in '77, it trounced the KZ's seriously.

·
Registered
97 Posts
California Highway Patrol used them for years, It was a police special with bigger altenator and heavier suspension, but same engine and pretty much bullet proof, but as said befor the cam chain is between #2 and #3 cylinder so a BIG pain to work on. You might be able to find an electronic ignition, I know they made an aftermarket kit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had a '78 KZ1000 for a few years after trading up from a KZ650. It was fast and heavy; the drivetrain was too much for the brakes and suspension. She was a great looking bike and there's no limit to mods that can be made to these bikes (except budget).
It could be overwhelming for a first-time rider. Since you're talking about a large rider with no basis for comparison, he might not notice.
Set my personal speed record on that one: ~140.
The SV was my next bike after the KZ1000. What a difference! I could whiz through the mountains and putt through the parking lots now with ease. I don't miss the brute force of the 1000 too often.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Back in the day my Z1R/KZ1000 clocked low 13's in the quarter mile, so in reality it should be less "fast" than riding an SV650. When I was in the service lots of "young and dumb" guys bought and crashed their KZ's, usually while wheelying into parked cars. The weight is why I have had my '78 KZ1000 rat/fighter project on hold for the last few years.

Paladin

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Back in the day my Z1R/KZ1000 clocked low 13's in the quarter mile, so in reality it should be less "fast" than riding an SV650. When I was in the service lots of "young and dumb" guys bought and crashed their KZ's, usually while wheelying into parked cars. The weight is why I have had my '78 KZ1000 rat/fighter project on hold for the last few years.

Paladin
I read an article that stated the KZ was almost banned in the US because the reported accidents on them were such high numbers...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kz1000

1 - 12 of 12 Posts