Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/catID/22/scID/133/IMID/872

So i put this little do dad on tonight. Installation was easy. First step was to find a place to mount it. I didn't want to drill the dash right away so I put it near the bottom, cleaning it off. Peel the tape and stick.

Next, I choose my power wire, I used the auxillary lamp power wire (brown) and spliced in.

Next, I choose my ground wire, right off the fairing mount.

I zip tied the wire underneath and checked to see if it was working properly.

So, now I will be running some tests to see how well the battery is holding a charge. I currently have the SV1000 battery in there, the 14. The only difference is it is taller than the 12 (stock for the 650). I figured I could put this in because all I had to do was trim the foam block on the bottom of my Sargent seat. Initially you can see it's at 12v without the bike running. Tomorrow will be a good test. My commutes are only 7.5 miles to and from work, I don't run anything (grips, heated gear or CB) on these short trips.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I did something like that on my race bike years ago- I wired in a cheap Radio Shack pocket Digital Volt/Ohm meter. Worked well, and only cost about $15. The only draw back was you had to switch it on.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I wired in one of those too, on my fighter. I ran a smaller than stock battery for size and weight savings...so I wanted one of these to keep track that the system was working ok. Its a good little unit.

nice write up Kell.

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
Just buy a f*cking Gold Wing already. They come in yellow. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
....Next, I choose my ground wire, right off the fairing mount......
'Ground' is a loosely applied term - Suzuki generally do not (& certainly not on this bike) use the frame as an active circuit return. For ANY electrical accessory, use the battery -, or at least a black/white return wire to connect the component's return wire.
Now the engine itself is connected to battery -, as this is the return path for the starter and spark plugs.
But the frame is not directly connected to the battery - only incidental contact via bolts, anodized components etc connecting it to the engine will create some, far from ideal connectivity to the battery -ve terminal.
There are NO OEM components that use the frame as a current return path to the battery.
Bottom line - don't use the frame as a 'ground' return current path.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
'Ground' is a loosely applied term - Suzuki generally do not (& certainly not on this bike) use the frame as an active circuit return. For ANY electrical accessory, use the battery -, or at least a black/white return wire to connect the component's return wire.
Now the engine itself is connected to battery -, as this is the return path for the starter and spark plugs.
But the frame is not directly connected to the battery - only incidental contact via bolts, anodized components etc connecting it to the engine will create some, far from ideal connectivity to the battery -ve terminal.
There are NO OEM components that use the frame as a current return path to the battery.
Bottom line - don't use the frame as a 'ground' return current path.
Why? In case all the engine bolts fall out at once? As long as the Ohm meter shows no resistance between Bat- and the frame, what difference does it make?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts