Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a local coffee house on on Sunday and saw thee sports bikes in one parking stall and the guys riding them were drinking there drinks outside on the tables and chairs. I noticed the bikes were on a slope, front wheels pointing down. As the guys were about to leave I notice one guy helping the other two by pushing them back pushing on the front forks. I said to myself, now who is going to help this last guy. In a blink of an the the third guy reached for the rear grab rail and with the other hand grabs the handle bar and leans the bike towards him and spins the bike on the kick stand for a 180 deg. turn in about as fast as you can blink an eye. That was totally cool, he mounts the bike and takes off.

Can I do that with my sv650s or with my lick will I bend the kick stand and have the bike fall on me....... let me know.

TM 8)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yes and Yes :twisted:

·
Registered
266 Posts
OK WTF is with these screens names????

asdfjkl;, I mean cmon man did you just take beginers typing???

olegbi_q2 that is just unpronounceable in any language, is this really what we've come to ???

·
Registered
266 Posts
Dobruy dien, or whatever phonicly challenged version of that makes sense :wink:

Oleg I can understand, it's the Bi_q2 that makes me cringe :D

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
yes, you can to it there are risks the kick stand will retract if you bobble a bit, and it will cause premature metal fatigue on you sidestand mount, looks cool, but I don't do it anymore, after a while, ther is excessive play in your side stand , the SV leaned enuf on its sidestand without excessive play, the sidestand mount is about $50

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd rather just pick a better parking spot!

:wink:

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
No you can't do it... at least not on an '05.

There's a safety mechanism that shuts off the engine if you try and shift into gear with the kickstand down. I'm guessing this isn't the first year that's been on the SV, but since I've only owned an '05, I can't say for sure. Besides, sounds pretty squid-tastic to me.

And...

Bmudssa... that's pronouncable? Let's watch ourselves before we start critisizing over something as trivial as screen names.

That's it. You can stop reading now.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
We do it all the time at the shop. We operate in pretty close-quarters and pivoting bikes on the side-stand is a God-send. A similar technique is described in this month's Motorcyclist.

I'm with Randy in that you don't want to make a daily habit out of it.

As for what bikes can and can't.....I've personally done it with Gold Wings, Gixxers and whatever else. The only bikes it doesn't work well on are cruisers since their stands are generally much farther forward and to the side.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
ASCSurveyor said:

There's a safety mechanism that shuts off the engine if you try and shift into gear with the kickstand down. I'm guessing this isn't the first year that's been on the SV, but since I've only owned an '05, I can't say for sure. Besides, sounds pretty squid-tastic to me.

And...

Bmudssa... that's pronouncable? Let's watch ourselves before we start critisizing over something as trivial as screen names.

it's not something you do with the engine running, all SVs have a sidestand saftey switch, heck, any bike I have ridden in the past 20 or more years has had a sidestand safety, switch my 82 yamaha has one

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
ASCSurveyor said:

And...

Do you even know what the guy is asking? Spin, pivot on kickstand, engine is OFF. Squid-tastic? If ingenuity is a squid like trait, the member of SVR must be some form of squid community. :roll: Its a good solution to a common problem (tight or poor parking spaces). Like everyone else has said its a god send at times but don't do it too often. Its even easier on the SS bikes just by the way the kickstands are designed.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
I'd rather just pick a better parking spot!

:wink:
I'm with you. +1

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I always back into parking spots anyway, but my current method of turning my bike in tight quarters is picking the rear wheel up and spining or rolling on the front tire... but I'm a big guy and son't expect very many can do it that way

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I saw that done for the first time at the SV rally, there was a guy with a beautiful R6 - I held my breathe the whole time. I am too worried I would drop mine to even try.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was standing next to you... beware, this will put a hole in most driveways.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
i've seen it done when i've been in the shop waiting for mine. like ruefus said, limited turning radius and work area call for it.

like others, i just dont think it's a great idea to do on a regular basis. the side stand wasn't made to support that kind of weight and be a pivot point. in a pinch, it'll do.

and if i try it, i'll be replacing some scratched or broken pieces

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
yeah, bike shops does it, and riders do it. I tried then i was like pfft, im not strong enough to lift it or catch it if it tries to tip.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts