Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Woodcraft rearsets on my 05 SV650S and the knurling on the shifter tip is pretty rough. I don't really like what it does to my boots/shoes on upshifts. Has anyone modded theirs? I'm thinking of removing it and dipping it in PlastiDip, but wondering if it will hold up that way. Do you think it would work to stretch thin walled tubing over it? Any suggestions?

·
Chief Greeter
28,477 Posts
I have Woodcraft rearsets on my 05 SV650S and the knurling on the shifter tip is pretty rough. I don't really like what it does to my boots/shoes on upshifts. Has anyone modded theirs? I'm thinking of removing it and dipping it in PlastiDip, but wondering if it will hold up that way. Do you think it would work to stretch thin walled tubing over it? Any suggestions?
There is a sock cover for the shifter, my friend got it at cycle gear. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Measure the OD of the grip. Go to a parts store and measure the ID of some rubber or vinyl tubing. Find some slightly smaller than the shifter.

Heat gun or hairdryer to soften it up. Then shove it :|

If you like the metal look, you can use a file to saw off the pointiest bits of the knurling. edit: Oh. it was a mee-too.

If the tubing has a thickness greater than the knurling, there won't be any significant wear through. Rubber might scuff a bit but vinyl is mostly inert and you can get it in clear.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I don't know, It seems that regular tubing would leave marks on your shoes/ boots. I would even try a file real quick to get some of the sharpness off, then your heat shrink idea. otherwise everything you put over something sharp will just wear through.

·
Chief Greeter
28,477 Posts
You know the stock shifter has gone through my boot so will covering your shifter really make a difference?

Seems like it will wear through from use either way? :p

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I would think that sharp knurled levers would shave holes in your boot much faster than one covered with almost anything.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
My OSF rearsets have a knurled shifter peg too and it's starting to eat through my A* boots because I use the edge of my toe. The plate built into the boot doesnt even really contact the shifter peg. It'd need to be another 1" longer for my boot to contact it in the plastic pad.

I think I'll either grind down the underside of the peg a little or get some tubing to cover it.
Thanks for the reminder!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some good ideas. I don't care for the Ryder Clip things because they stand out too much and don't like the idea of the bands that go over shoes because you have to remember to have it with you.

·
Chief Greeter
28,477 Posts
Some good ideas. I don't care for the Ryder Clip things because they stand out too much and don't like the idea of the bands that go over shoes because you have to remember to have it with you.
Yeah those shoe things are kinda goofy but I didn't even know he had one of those shifter socks on his bike until he pointed it out (he had a black one one his shifter), maybe if it was a color it would stand out some.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I dipped mine in plasti-dip once, but the 40 mile ride I went on chewed a piece off the bottom of the coating. I'm going to dip it again and get a nice thick layer on there before I try it again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts