Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, my engine's seem to have the knocks.

I've already tried the higher octane fuels, but nothing has seemed to work.

It seems that it happens at the lower rpm's when I'm accelerating, but I don't notice it at higher speeds.

Any help?

Oh yeah, my bike's a 2K3.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Bike History?

Wheelies?

Ever down in its side while still running?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
More questions:
What is your typical ride? Is the knock regular and constant or intermittent? Is it a thunk or a ping sound?

A quick way to get rid of carbon buildup (one possible cause of pinging) is to start the bike and warm it up. Have an old Windex or similar spray bottle ready with about 1/2 pint of cold water in it. Raise the tank, remove the air filter, start the bike rev it up to around 2,500 to 3,000 RPM and start spraying the water into the intakes. Reinstall the filter, drop the tank and go for a ride.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Currently said:
Bike History?

Wheelies?

Ever down in its side while still running?
It's been all good. I've taken good care of her for the past 14=K miles that I've had her. Routine oil changes, no real issues with the history except this.

No wheelies, the only time I've been down was during slow speed U-turns when I was starting out-- but that was 3 years ago.

This problem started up a couple of months ago and I thought that higher octane or a detergent fuel would clear it up, but it hasn't.

Originally posted by andyauger:

More questions:
What is your typical ride? Is the knock regular and constant or intermittent? Is it a thunk or a ping sound?

A quick way to get rid of carbon buildup (one possible cause of pinging) is to start the bike and warm it up. Have an old Windex or similar spray bottle ready with about 1/2 pint of cold water in it. Raise the tank, remove the air filter, start the bike rev it up to around 2,500 to 3,000 RPM and start spraying the water into the intakes. Reinstall the filter, drop the tank and go for a ride.

My rides vary, but the most common one is to work. Twenty miles each way with the first 2 miles being slow speed, uphill, curvy, through neighborhoods. This is followed by about 18 miles of highway speed.

As far as sound-- it's more of a thunk/clunk than a ping.

It is regular-- happens just when I am giving her some gas at the lower speeds-- even in first, or when I'm changing gears from first to second and slower speeds.

I also thought it might be that the rpm's were just too low, but that wasn't it, either.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not exactly sure how that would fit in, but it's been less than an inch. However, I've not checked it in a bit.

I'll do so tomorrow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If your chain is too loose it may hit the top of the swinger arm, causing a thunk. You can hear it a low speeds and low RPM's, maybe even feel it in your footpeg. If anything, it's just another simple check before you come to the conclusion that it's pinging.

good luck.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hardcore said:
If your chain is too loose it may hit the top of the swinger arm, causing a thunk.  You can hear it a low speeds and low RPM's, maybe even feel it in your footpeg.  If anything, it's just another simple check before you come to the conclusion that it's pinging. 

good luck.
Ohhhhh. That's good.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Have you messed w/your spark plugs lately? If you don't tighten it down, it'll work loose and start bouncing all around the hole. Don't ask how I know this.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's the update:

Checked the chain sag. Fine. Damn, as I was hoping that it could've been that.

Plugs? That was in the back of my mind as well, but, alas, a no-go. After it was mentioned I made sure they were nice and snug/tightened.

I spoke to a moto-veteran/ mechanic about this and he said that it MIGHT be a timing issue-- that the firing is off. Hmmmmmm.

I dunno.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts