Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing the "wrist pain" thread, I thought Id chime in with my own problem.

On longer rides (over 100 miles continuously), I experience some pretty bad knee pain from my knee being bent in the same position for hours. Its uncomfortable while riding, but hurts a heck of a lot more when I try to straighten out my leg after coming to stop.

Any ideas on how to prevent/treat this type of knee pain? Ive thought of taking some tylenol/other moderate pain releiver before riding. What about changing the rearset position? I dont want to scape pegs though.

Some background- the pain is likely due to a knee surgery I had to my right knee (to remove and fix some torn cartiliage... damn basketball!!) over a year ago. Only my right knee hurts in this way, although my left could use some stretching during long rides. Also, Im 6"3.

·
Registered
476 Posts
24 yo
6'1"
03 naked 650
no knee surgery

my left leg gets cramped up on long rides often, esp. twisty stuff that causes me to move around on the bike. never right leg pain.

·
Registered
92 Posts
don't know if it will help the pain you are having as it's not a major change.. but when going on long(er) rides i periodically move my feet from "tip-toeing" the pegs to flat footing them.. that seems to decrease the crampage somewhat..

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you have nate's motosliders, you can rest your legs on them harley style 8) It's actually quite comfortable for a while until the pegs start digging into my calves.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Ha...never tried that with the motosliders.

I do get knee pains for sure...the SV was bad, and the Ninja is at least as bad. I usually just stand up on the pegs(stand-up wheelie style :wink: ) and let them stretch for 10-15 seconds. The pain goes away almost isntantaneously once they get limbered up a bit.

Your problem's a little more complex as you have a pre-existing problem. I would suggest an anti-inflammatory before long riding.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
i put my legs on the sliders all the time

you can also put your toes on the passenger pegs to give it another position as a stretch. i do that, hang them down for a bit to shake out the leg, and stand up on the pegs (bent over, still on the handlebars) to stretch the legs more

·
Registered
75 Posts
5' 10" / 185 / 47 years old with multiple knee surgeries - lowered the pegs slightly and the pain went away.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I get the same thing. I just move from the arch of my feet to the balls (of my feet), stretch my legs out every so often, and stand-up some.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!!! Ill try the standing up on the pegs, and certainly the anti-inflammatories. I considered resting my legs on the sliders (not Nates, but frame-through intuitive sliders nonetheless), but thought my legs were too long to safely rest on them. Maybe Ill give it a shot a slow speeds :).

If all that doesnt work, Ill trying lowering the pegs.... maybe combined with raising the height of the sv with some dogbones??

·
Registered
70 Posts
Try ICE! It should help out alot. I also had knee surgery and it took about two years before it healed completely.

·
Registered
238 Posts
[I'm also 6'3 and think it's because us tall guys have to fold up to ride. +1 on the standing up Ben said.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am 32, 6'2" with 33" inseam. My knees begin to hurt after about 1h of nonstop riding. I have patellafemoral syndrome in my left knee...basically its where the kneecap falls a bit out of track and causes irritation and wears away at the femur.

What helps me: 600-800mg ibuprofen taken before a ride, glucosamine daily, exercise, drink lots of water, relaxing my legs on the bike as much as I can. Taking breaks every 45 min even if just 2 minutes helps a lot. The wrong set of pants & bad knee armor placement was another cause of irritation/cramping in my legs, since resolved.

If my legs weren't so cramped on the SV, I'd be thinking of how to fit hard bags and a giant windscreen on it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Changing your dogbones may change the height of the bike, but it won't affect the seat/peg relationship one bit - so will have no affect on your riding position - or your knee pain.

One of my knees aches a little on long rides too. The best remedy is to STOP and walk around a few minutes - but short of that, the previous suggestions help too - stretching your legs out, resting them on the sliders, standing up, etc. It also help to change positions on the seat often - from up close to the tank - to all the way back. Anything to vary the bend of your knees.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
+1 on standing up on the pegs...

·
Registered
198 Posts
I tore up my LCL several years ago skiing and I get knee pain on long highway miles. Twisties I'm fine since I am moving around on the bike, but after an hour of superslab I HAVE to stretch my legs or stop and walk around. Ibuprofen helps, so does stretching before the ride and massaging with Icy-hot.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
regular use of anti inflamitories is not good for your liver

I do recomend glucosamine suppliment

1 - 17 of 17 Posts