Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently tried putting my inside knee out while cornering and for me it makes the bike feel different, corners are smoother and much more confident feeling. What's the proper technique and was this just a placebo?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I don't think it matters a lot, so long as you are consistent.

I'm not flexible enough to get my knees out. Sucks getting old. ;)

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
I like knee out, but realize it makes it look like you're riding more aggressively than you might actually be riding.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
I go back and forth. If I am just out enjoying myself, I usually leave it in. If I am really focusing on the corners, I might swing it out. As stated before, having your knee out draws more attention. All it takes is one old lady that sees you swing your knee out and thinks you are going WAY to fast to complain to the cops and have them start patrolling your favorite road.

IMO getting your upper body in the correct position is more important.

·
Safety Adviser
879 Posts
Use correct technique, its not about dragging a knee, dragging a knee is the result of correct technique and speed. Knee out helps to force your body to rotate around and helps to get you in the correct technique if you are doing the other things you need to be doing together with it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
yeah i just started letting the knee out a little and it does for some reason inspire a little more confidence and natural feeling.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Great form! :eek:ccasion14:

yeah i just started letting the knee out a little and it does for some reason inspire a little more confidence and natural feeling.
its more natural feeling because you are using physics to better control the bike, moving your knee, as well as body, off the inside of the bike moves the center of gravity and changes the amount the bike needs to lean to properly execute a turn. This is especially true the faster and tighter you turn(ie track) but can also be applied day to day.

I personally don't like hanging my knee out when in jeans on the street, but you can still shift your weight and get a similar effect.

once you get to the point of actually draggin knee it can also be used to sense how close you are to dragging the bike. While racing I will touch my knee and then know that I can still bring the bike lower if I need. All comes with practice and time on the bike.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/columns/122_1105_dragging_your_knees/

·
Registered
5 Posts
I personally don't like hanging my knee out when in jeans on the street, but you can still shift your weight and get a similar effect.
I still have a nice scar on my left knee, riding in jeans and meeting a car that won't stop for you in a roundabout was very painfull. Now a days I no longer do small trips in jeans, only long trips or to the local go-cart track in full leathers.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I found that just shifting my torso's weight over the seat towards the inside actually kind of causes my inner leg to also shift out- and in turn (no pun intended) my knee face the ground more.

EDIT: Not sliding my ass off the seat- just letting my weight move to that side* - seems some people insist that you must hang off the bike... :/ I don't quite understand that for day to day riding.

However since I am commuting generally I don't do this so extremely that I end would have my knee dragging...

Its like aggressive "2up" riding... or as aggressive as that could get I suppose.... with occasional tucks :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've only been riding for a year, and only as of this year am I no longer planted in my seat, but from what I understand the goal is repetition. If your knee is out the same distance consistently, when you begin to touch it down you will know exactly how far you are leaned over. It's a feeler, basically.

A few of the faster guys I ride with are absolutely obsessed with actively trying to get their knee down, which for them seems to be some kind of rite of passage. Getting your knee down doesn't say much on its own, though, other than that your knee was far enough away from your bike that it touched.

·
Registered
67 Posts
On the street, I ride in textile pants w/ knee protection inside. The knee goes out if I'm being a little more aggressive, but I definitely don't want it to touch down without leathers/knee pucks on!

No reason to be dragging a knee on the street anyway, much more fun on the track.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Leaning with your knee out makes the bike stay in a more upright position. to take corners faster. If you race we use that as a gauge of how much more lean angle we have in the sharp corners.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts