Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I split a piece of rubber tubing and fitted it over the front edge though to stop the fiber glass scratching the tank.
Clever fix! My throttle cable was rubbing ever so slightly against the edge of the race front fairing - I had taped the edges of the fairing which seemed to work, but I think split rubber tubing would work even better.

It's kind of an odd design as it has three sets of molded lugs that rest on the frame where there are matching threaded screw holes.
Ah you mean where the OEM seat would normally hook under, mid-way through the tail section? I completely forgot that there were screw holes in the frame there. Makes sense. That would be a solid mounting point.

Oh yeah, the racing went well today, I was 2nd in all three races. There was a young 14yr old on a KTM moto 3 type bike giving me a run for my money. I never thought a 250cc single could go so quick!
Congrats on the podium! I suppose the lightweight combo of a 250 single + 14 year old rider would make for tough competition, especially in technical sections of the track. Reminds me of my next goal for a lighter track day package come spring - shed some rider weight!

Thanks for all the info. I'll be looking to get a tail unit at some point over the winter. Would love to see some pics once the bike's all painted as well. Cheers.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Very, VERY, nice and clean one.(y)

Reactions: Kiwi Rider

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Looks like you have changed sprockets/chain. Just wondering, what tooth count did you go with & what chain ?

thanks!

T.
The sprockets are both Vortex brand, 16/47 combo. My local track has a very fast back straight and the taller first gear gives me a good drive off the start line. Chain is 114 link DID ER520V3

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
End of season report

I've got my last local competition round in a bit over two weeks time but the National series and the Southern race Series have been wrapped up so thought I'd file a report.

NZSBK Championship (AKA the Nationals)
Ravaged by covid lock downs for a second year, it ended up being just a three round Series. I travelled 3000km round trip to the North Island for the last round in March at Taupo. It was worth it though as it was only my second time there and I improved significantly over the three days with more track time. I knocked 1.7 seconds off my PB, qualified 12th and in the races was 11th, 10th and 10th. In two of the races I held P8 but mistakes let me down and local riders capitalized on them every time. Dang!
Overall in the Championship I placed 10th. If I was prepared to race in the rain I could have been up in 8th place but it's not my thing so 10th it is.

The Southern Race Series
This was the surprise success story for me this season. Started off really badly for me though at round one in September when I was rusty coming out of winter and on the new bike which I wasn't used to and didn't have a good set up at that stage. Qualified P15! In the races I was 11th, 10th and 10th. Less said the better.
Round 2 was at my home track and I was 2nd in all three races. (y)
Round three at Ruapuna (Christchurch) was at Easter time. Despite howling winds I rode really consistently (better than the Nationals) and improved on my PB. I qualified 7th and was 5th in the first race. There was three riders missing from the front row in the 2nd race due to crash damage and mechanicals. I took the holeshot and rode my arse off to take the win. My first ever win at this track, stoked. Overall in the series I ended up first due mainly to no DNF's or DNS's and I rode pretty well mostly apart from Round one. My first trophy and Prize cheque 🏆

My local competition (The Southland Cup) is underway for 2021. We had round two last weekend and I had two wins and a 2nd due to damp track. I missed round one as I was away at a National event, so I've got some catching up to do on the points table. We have our last meeting on may 2nd then we break for three months over winter. I've knocked 1.2 seconds off my PB at my home track this season which was really pleasing and more than I expected. Could be the gen 3 factor haha!.

The new bike has been running a treat. All the work I did on it last winter in the conversation process has worked out, no big issues but I am having trouble shifting from 5th to 6th occasionally. Ive made quite a few suspension/geometry changes over the season to the point where I now have a base setup that I'm happy with. Biggest break through was at round two of the Nats when I changed the rear shock spring for a softer one and gained a second per lap instantly. With my light weight it's a beast off the line and I get lots of really good starts. I also get lots of compliments on the bikes appearance at the track which is nice.
So on the whole I've had a really good season - got faster and enjoyed my racing. :giggle:

Here's a few snaps:

Before paint job (November)

Nationals at Taupo

Southern Race Series at Ruapuna

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
The new season looms...

Well it would kick off next weekend if we weren't in Covid lockdown.😖
So first round of the local comp is off the cards. I'm hopping for a re-schedule rather than a full cancellation but it depends on how long we remain locked down.

Over the winter I've done all the usual maintenance stuff like engine and fork oils and removed the brake calipers for a deep clean but I didnt do a couple of usual tasks due to the newness of the bike like pulling the fuel pump out of the tank and I didnt want to break the seal on the rocker covers so I flagged checking the valve clearances. I also sent my Traxxion Dynamic emulators away to a guy who reckons he has some tweaks that make them better. He did the testing using a suspension dyno so will be interesting to see what diff it makes.

I've sexed up the graphics on the front of my fairing a bit to make it look a touch more 'racey' lol. My own design but I'm still in two minds about it:

Before:

After:

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Mid season report:

It hasn't been a humdinger of a season so far... The local championship has been a mix of cancellations due to being in lockdown (covid) or big rains on race day. I haven't had a dry meet locally all season so far. It's got so bad that I've actually re-invested in wet tyres and are going to try and get back into racing in the rain again, which is not really my thing.

The National Championship has been cut by half this year. Normally about now we are competing in the South island rounds but they were cancelled by concerns over running the event under covid restrictions. We are still hoping for the North island rounds to go ahead in March.

The Southern Race series has been completed with the final (third) round last weekend. Round 1 was back in September on my least favorite track and, like last year, I was slow out of the blocks after winter and painfully average. My results were a touch better though with an 8th and two 7th placings. Round 2 in November at my home track was a wash out and I never competed. This is where I normally pile on the points unfortunately. Round 3 last weekend was probably the worst of my racing career. I got knocked off on the first corner of the first race. I was Ok apart from some bark missing on my arm after the leather got worn right through. Crash damage was not too bad due mainly to some good crash protection I installed. All I needed was a new LH rear set to get going again. The tilt sensor behind the tank had got dislodged in the fall though and in the next race it moved position causing the bike to die. Another DNF... I did get my shit together in one race though and took a 6th. So no plastic cup or prize money this year. To be fair we have three Aprilia 660's out front now in my class (F3) so I wasn't in the hunt anyways.

Heck this reads like a tale of woe lol. Despite all this I am still enjoying my racing and looking forward to the rest of the season. It's not all about results at the end of the day, I enjoy the comradery and trying to hone my skills at each meeting and better myself as a racer. It's a great sport.

A couple of pics from last wkd. Dont be concerned by the water marks, I'm a long time supporter of this photographer, and will be purchasing these images when I do my nxt order.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Grand prix motorcycle racing

Can see daylight under my knee, not on the pace!

Tire Knee pad Motorcycle helmet Wheel Vehicle

Chasing someone quicker than myself. Seem to do a lot of that haha

Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Motorcycle

No explanation required!

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,073 Posts
Nice update Kiwi. Glad to hear you're alright, and I like your new front graphics. Looks more aggressive. Keep the updates coming.

Reactions: Kiwi Rider

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Season wrap

Last weekend we wrapped things up at my local track with Round 3 of our competition for 2022. We'll take four months off for the winter now and get back into it in September with another three rounds before the years end. It's kinda weird down here having winter break up the year. Some competitions run over the summer though like our National series and the South Island cup.

Since my last report in January I've had four meetings. One of them was a one off NZGP two day event in Christchurch at Easter. I made a bit of a blunder in that I looked at the forecast which was really good and left my wets at home as I didnt want to lug them 1300km for nothing. However on day 2 which was the morning of the GP race we got light skiffs of rain... 😕 Had to sit that one out. lesson learnt. There was a good turn out with some stiff competition. I got the hole shot in all my races but slowly the top riders would pick me off. Bit of a master class in how to go backwards lol. My results were 2 x 6th place and a 5th. It was good to be pushed hard though and I knocked 0.8 of a second off my PB.

In the local comp we had a couple of dry rounds in March and April with a young fella on a Ninja 650 pushing me hard and beating me more often than I him. We had some great tussles but all clean racing.
Tire Helmet Wheel Automotive tire Sports gear

Last weekend we struck wet conditions unfortunately and I got back on the wets for the first time in a few years. In the first race I sat behind a guy on a ZXR400 (see below) until I got a handle on the grip levels then I used the SV's superior power to slip him down the straight. In the second race I just got on with it and lead from start to finish. We had a very poor turn out though so I wasn't really challenged.
Always good to finish the season on a positive note though and I'm going into the second half of the comp with a healthy points advantage.. In three weeks time I'm going over to Queensland, Australia to do levels 1 & 2 of the Cali SBK school. Looking forward to it.
Tire Helmet Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

Enjoy your summer of racing in the Northern Hemisphere. 🏁

21 - 32 of 32 Posts