Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I killed my battery last night. I push started her, rode her for 5 minutes, and she wouldn't even turn over. I live at an apartment complex, so I don't have access to an outside power source.

How long does it usually take to charge the thing back up from empty? On average? (By driving around)

·
Registered
459 Posts
I killed mine once... left the lights on. I jumped it, rode around for about an hour or so and never had another problem.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
How long does it usually take to charge the thing back up from empty? On average? (By driving around)

that's not what a bike charging system is designed to do, depending on the condition of your battery, it is likely not even possible to completely recharge the battery just by riding around,

no outside power source for a charger ? remove the battery and bring ti indoors to put on a charger

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I jump started her, and spent nearly an hour riding around. I conveniently checked to ensure the bike would crank back up on the steepest hill in the area. I think she's fine now.. The first time I checked, she seemed a little weak. After 30 more minutes of riding, it turned over strong..

Thanks for the help..

·
Registered
335 Posts
If the battery is an original with your bike it might not hurt to replace it. In my experience with older batteries is that if you drain them down either they work or are junk after trying to recharge them.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Third owner of the bike, so I am unsure whether or not it has been replaced. I would love to get a battery conditioner but like I said, I don't have access to an electrical outlet.

If it starts to act squirrely, I will definitely purchase a new battery. No questions asked. I hate push-starting. Makes my legs tired.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think there should be a tag on the battery telling its in service date. I worked for a fleet so i had alot of experience with batteries and idiot drivers leaving their lights on. If battery was bad from being drained it wouldn't take a charge or keep one very long. I wouldn't worry to much about it if it sits overnight and starts up no problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I killed mine once... left the lights on. I jumped it, rode around for about an hour or so and never had another problem.
Is it even possible to leave the lights on an sv? If so I'd like to know how so I don't do it. I guess if you leave the key in?

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Is it even possible to leave the lights on an sv? If so I'd like to know how so I don't do it. I guess if you leave the key in?
There is a park setting on the ignition. If you turn it past "Off" to the "P",the lights will stay on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts