Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am actually German, migrated to Texas and refuse to leave(yes I have my US citizenship in case anyone is wondering).

My folks went to Germany last month and informed my relatives I purchased a Motorcycle, everyone asked if I have Kidney Warmers/protectors?

What's the deal with this? I tried doing some internet research and was not very successful.

Danke,

Eli

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
They are calling you an organ donor. That's what ER doctors call motorcycle riders in the States. You buy a bike, crash and die and donate your organs to someone smarter; their view, not mine. I guess in Europe they use different terms. Many sick folks looking for a kidney these days. Their comment wasn't meant to be flattering.

Unless I'm totally off base, and they actually mean wearing a kidney belt as used by weight lifters or dirt bike riders to soften the hits to the back. I'm going with the first explanation.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
589 Posts
I’ve seen kidney belts for moto riders, especially for those who ride Harleys with no rear shock or off road guys who ride on eally bumpy roads. Helps on long rides.

I think the Kidney WARMER reference is about being an organ donor keeping them important parts warm when you die. I know a few emergency responders and they us similar terms.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
There is the thought that you can get a Nierenentzuendung riding a bike at cold weather while have your kidneys unprotected.

Assuming you speak German http://www.motorradfrage.net/frage/nierengurt-bei-den-temperaturen

The back protector serves a similar function, I think, here it might be not such a problem because bikes are ridden mostly in good weather since they are more toys.
While in Europe it is also more a form of transportation.

On a side note, I was born in Houston, grew up in Germany and live in the states again, refuse to leave and was thinking at one point about moving to Austin.
(yes I have my US citizenship in case anyone is wondering)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
acer66,

Nierenentzuendung was among my first impressions as well. Natuerlich spreche Ich Deutsch, ist ja meine erste sprache.

Europe gets a different kind of "cold" temp than here in Austin. This year we only had a few days of actual cold winter weather, I wouldn't dare ride my bike in it!

You will definitely have to keep in touch with me if you move to Austin. More German culture is popping up here(slowly). Quite a few German groups in this town to make friends and stay with the lingo(I do slack on this part, most of the groups are an older generation than mine).

I would definitely be down for some road trips to New Braunfels and Gruene TX for some German meals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts