Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I put a K&N air filter in my SV with no other modifications whatsoever (other than an already installed Yoshi TRS slip-on). After the K&N air filter, I could swear that the bike was somehow smoother at high speeds after this one little change, but I wonder if I was just like a kid with new shoes...

Does the K&N filter really breathe THAT much better that I was able to notice something subtly better?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts

Whew!!! That video sold me! :eek:

As for the K&N....

Most likely "Kid with new shoes"

Since you just dropped it in, I strongly suggest you do an oil analysis IMMEDIATELY to get a baseline test on your oil BEFORE THE K&N, then check it in a few thousand miles of running with the K&N onboard.

Watch your silicon, lead, and iron percentages start to climb in your oil.

Keep your OEM filter around for after that second or third test, you'll probably want it if you plan on keeping the bike.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since you just dropped it in, I strongly suggest you do an oil analysis IMMEDIATELY to get a baseline test on your oil BEFORE THE K&N, then check it in a few thousand miles of running with the K&N onboard.

Keep your OEM filter around for after that second or third test.

Watch your silicon, lead, and iron percentages start to climb in your oil.
Huh?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Sorry...

I thought you wanted to know if the K&N was actually doing something for you.

I've offered a suggestion to determine exactly what it is doing on the flip side of the coin when it is letting all that air into your engine. Oil analysis will tell you precisely what's going on.

Silicon comes from two places when it's in your oil. I'm talking SILICON...like SAND, not that chit in your girlfriends titties. One place it comes from is all the sh!t left behind when your engine is manufactured and the reason you do an oil change at 600 miles when new. Second and most often is dirt being sucked into your engine through these hi-perf air filters.

Take your pick....performance gains that you have to ask an entire SV Forum whether or not you actually experienced or not or pretty much gauranteed premature engine wear? With excessive wear, you will likely see a higher rate of lead and iron contaminant in your oil sample then universal averages. That's the good stuff coming off of your crank bearings, cylinder, and piston rings as they wear down at a faster rate than if you actually fed your bike clean air.

An oil analysis will tell you all that but you need to know what to compare it to, that's why I suggest an immediate oil sample. It's $22 and worth 100 times that in it's valuable diagnosis.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry...

I thought you wanted to know if the K&N was actually doing something for you.

I've offered a suggestion to determine exactly what it is doing on the flip side of the coin when it is letting all that air into your engine. Oil analysis will tell you precisely what's going on.

Silicon comes from two places when it's in your oil. I'm talking SILICON...like SAND, not that chit in your girlfriends titties. One place it comes from is all the sh!t left behind when your engine is manufactured and the reason you do an oil change at 600 miles when new. Second and most often is dirt being sucked into your engine through these hi-perf air filters.

Take your pick....performance gains that you have to ask an entire SV Forum whether or not you actually experienced or not or pretty much gauranteed premature engine wear? With excessive wear, you will likely see a higher rate of lead and iron contaminant in your oil sample then universal averages. That's the good stuff coming off of your crank bearings, cylinder, and piston rings as they wear down at a faster rate than if you actually fed your bike clean air.

An oil analysis will tell you all that but you need to know what to compare it to, that's why I suggest an immediate oil sample. It's $22 and worth 100 times that in it's valuable diagnosis.
Thanks for the additional details. I didn't understand why you were suggesting the oil sample at first, but now that you've explained it, it makes perfect sense.

I've only ridden about 100 miles with the K&N filter, and the installation of the K&N coincided with an oil change, so it would be perfect to get a beginning and end reading on this oil change.

I supposed that in order to know if the results are good or bad, I'd need another beginning to end of oil change sample using an OEM air filter (which I already threw away -- :( )...

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts