Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99 SV has a gangster pimp lean. So much that I'm worried its going to tip over one of these days. I can comfortably put a 2x4 and 1x4 under it to prop it up. I'm thinking someone must of leaned the bike over and pivoted on it a few too many times.
I'm wondering if I could just go to a machine shop and have them heat up the kickstand mount and then bend it downwards to straighten it out some?

Anyone had this problem and got it fixed? More ideas? Thanks!!

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
Pics?

Sent from my other shoe using the Motorcycle app

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no closeups of it

·
Registered
546 Posts
99% chance that it is a completely normal lean... Just buy a swingarm stand for the home and pay attention to how you park on the streets.

If youre that worried about it, buy a new one. Heating and bending the old one could weaken it...

·
very big dumb
8,897 Posts
lean wit' it

We've tried on ThatDood's bike to get rid of the massive lean by swapping to a new kickstand, and it was identical with a known "good one". 1st-gen bikes like yours apparently just like to be way over on the stand.

my buddy's hawk is the same way. you can raise it a good 3" and it will still be well over.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
metal fatigue from spinning on sidestand, using footpeg as step to get on bike or practicing getting your knee down while parked

I had to replace sidestand mount on mine

part # 6

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really? Are you sure you guys can put a 2x4 and 1x4 stacked ontop of each other and still feel comfortable with the lean your bike has? Please try and LMK.
I'd be surprised if it should lean THAT much.
Part #6 is exactly where I'd have them heat it up and bend.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Part #6 is exactly where I'd have them heat it up and bend.
once it bend once it won't hold up long, it is a rather expensive part for what it is $75

·
Registered
299 Posts
Haven't tried the 2x4 and 1x4 measurement, but mine leans over pretty damn far, and always has. I've placed a paver stone under my kickstand, and with that, it was about the same lean angle as my friend's FZ6R. I think the first gens are just V-2's that haven't had their V-8. ;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really? Dang! A paver would be about the right height. That's crazy.
Well if that part hasn't bent once then I should be OK to heat, bend once, cool, and be happier with the less lean.

Well maybe I should ask if anyone has altered the stand for less of a pimp lean?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Whenever I use my paddock stands on my 02 gen1 I always put a 2x4 under the kick stand first to get it more upright before i grab the spools. It does lean quite a bit and i prefer it to be as upright as possible before propping it up on the stands.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had to take some pics

·
Registered
35 Posts
My first gen had a wicked gangsta lean. I felt like I was going to fall over with the bike whenever I put the kickstand down. It got corrected when I lowered the bike. Now its lean is much more manageable.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Looks pretty normal.

I don't have any that show the profile too well.

This one (both bikes are 1st gen) is at a bit of an angle to the bikes

So is this one (still 1g)

This one I held the camera at an angle ( the road in the background is level, and yes that tire has been replaced)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I sometimes have to put a sidestand on my 99 race bike when I work track days, since we have to pick up bikes that go down. Using the side stand makes it easier to park the bike. (Otherwise I'd have to find something to lean it on.)

My SV has an Ohlins shock with ride height adjustment that has been set higher, so thew sidestand puts my bike at an extreme lean. Moreso than the OP's bike does.

Not too keen on those adjustable aluminum stands. So, are there any other bike's stands that are longer and straighter than the G1 SV that would fit the SV's bracket?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Not sure about the Gen 1, but a 2x4 and a 1x4 makes my Gen 2 really close to vertical.

I'd make sure the bolts are tight, and if it still bugs you, look for one in a bone yard.
From the pics it looks like your kickstand has had some trauma about 2" down from the bolt.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I used a GSX-R kickstand.
Milled out the groove to fit the SV bracket and pressed a bushing in to use the SV bolt.
If you want to continue using your kickstand switch, you'll need to weld a small pad to part of the stand so that it hits the sensor when up. I've removed the kickstand switch so it's not an issue for me.
Might be hard to tell from this pic, but you get an idea

1 - 20 of 20 Posts