Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What to do with a totaled 06 SV650S w/ 17k miles

I first felt like something was off when my right wrist didn't feel right, like the right clip on was angled back too far. When I got off the bike at the end of the day, I locked it and tested the bars, and they went half way. I redid it and same thing, so I decided to look under, and found this:

http://imgur.com/a/BYTBF taken at night - it looks even wider/bigger in the day time. While it's a visibly nasty gash from the pin being jarred back and forth, I do not believe the integrity of the frame has been damaged.

I filed a police report and the insurance adjustor left earlier to do some price crunching. He had this to say:

- The frame to replace was going to be $3400, not including the labor to take the front end completely apart.
- The NADA value is $3300 + my $1100 in parts (Yosh slip on, Sargent Seat, Integrated Tail light, flush blinkers, etc) = $4400.
- $500 deductible
- Salvaged value was estimated at $1500

My two options are to keep the bike, and they give me $2400 ($4.4k - $500 deductible - $1500 salvage value) or they take everything and give me $3900 ($4.4k - $500.)

Unfortunately, I already have Race Tech springs/emulators and a used 07 ZX-10R shock in the mail, which would go to waste if they took it.

I am scared that they tweaked the forks, while ramming it with the bars, and if that's the case, I should let the insurance take the bike. However if the forks are in good condition, and only the clip on needs to be adjusted, then I am thinking about keeping the bike. Of course, I have no way to tell if the fork was tweaked without massive labor, and do not have the tools to do it myself.

My friends are saying go buy a bigger bike, but mine is pretty much used to commute on with some spirited weekends. I am looking to get into track days, and have my first event in a couple weeks.

I guess I am looking for some input on where to go from here. I'm pretty pissed about it all.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I vote for the clean break...take the $3900 and give them the bike. Personally, I wouldn't want the hassles and lingering questions of restoring a wrecked bike. You can buy a newer, lower mileage SV for $3900 and the incoming parts won't be wasted.

If you decide not to buy another SV with your $3900, you can probably sell the springs/emulators and shock on this board for close to what you paid.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
If you aren't opposed to doing the work, take the $2400+bike. If you have the secure area to do the work, you have 2400 bucks.. go to Sears.com and price out what you think will work for you, it will surely fit with lots of money to spare. You already have some sweet goodies in the mail heading to you, $2400 less the cost of tools can do a lot.

You can always get an alarm and a different external means of locking up the front when you park (padded, tempered/forged steel chain and lock?). You can likely pocket some money.. or save it, shop on ebay for a cheap frame.

The SV with proper suspension is a seriously capable bike.. it takes experiencing it to fully appreciate what those of us with upgraded suspension are saying. Its midnight and nuclear day difference. So unless there is another SV for sale near you that is priced at a screamin' deal at under 4k.. (oh wait.. no tools, lest you take that out of the 3900..dang, sure would need to be a screamin' deal!)

Just my thoughts..

{Edit: My perspective of SV used pricing is based on Pacific Northwest pricing, 3500-4000 gets a nicely mod'd and cared for SV, 3-3500, you're looking at trades here and there, below 3k, pay attention to what you're buying, likely will be salvage/hammered below 2700 or so. The SV650S and SF models aren't super common here and a few a year are lost to becoming track only/nonstreetable. Mine as it sits is worth about 3500}

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you don't want it... where do you live? I bet you can find someone around here (like me) who would gladly take an otherwise nice SV off your hands for that price.

Otherwise, I would not ride a bike with the headtube ripped up like that but you can get a salvage frame on eBay for like $200. If the rest of the bike is good and you figure $800 in tools and stands and beer, you can easily knock out a frame swap in a weekend and come out well ahead... maybe even do a GSXR swap or suspension upgrade.

And if you part it out, dibs on the tank if it's in good shape.

·
very big dumb
9,066 Posts
When I totaled my 06 yzf600r I let them keep the bike. I think the price is based off of what the bike would part out for at a junkyard. So I don't think there is a lot, if any, money to be made.
the price is based off of what they feel they can get at auction for it minus the costs of dealing with it. An otherwise undamaged frameless 2nd-gen should bring at least 2.5k in parts on ebay and that's with "get it outa here" pricing.
complete engine for ~500
tail plastics ~100 each
forks ~250 for the pair
wheels ~125 each
swingarm ~80
triples ~50
tank ~250
top fairing ~200
headlight ~150
and then a bunch of misc crap that will really add up as well (coils, harness, hardware, brakes, levers, clipons, undertail, ecu, rearsets, etc).

the downside is the time it takes to disassemble, the space it takes (bike takes up a lot more space in parts than whole), the time it takes to list and ship stuff.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Where is the OP located? That often can be a determinant of how easily a bike can be parted. If they're in a major population center like LA, the bike will be gone in a couple weeks. Out in the middle of nowhere will take a lot more effort and shipping headaches.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I totaled my bike back in June. Insurance gave me $4000 for my '06 sv650s w/ 15k miles. Buy back was $950. Deductible was $300. Im not an expert mechanic, but one of my buddies went to school for motorcycle repair and evaluated the bike and determined frame was straight, fork was straight, subframe slightly tweaked. Anyways, I bought the bike back, fixed it up, and it rides like a dream. I put maybe $150 back into the bike after the wreck. So in the end I have a totaled out '06 sv650s for $1100 and got over $2000 back from insurance! Ill take that any day of the week. :)

So take the cash + bike. Worth it IMO and experience. Well I guess depending on how bad the damage is. Good luck.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The title might not even get branded due to age of bike. Mine didn't get branded. By appearance it looks like a clean title. One would have to search the database to find its been totaled.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

1 - 16 of 16 Posts